cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

Ad_The_Pad
On our wavelength

Crazy business when the work around is to buy non vm equipment to fix the problem. Yes, i think i will have to use that. Cheers 👍🏼

morgan1992
Tuning in

I’ve recently taken out a new contract with VM after moving home and being with them for a long time using the hub 3. This issue with the hub 4 is beyond annoying when you’ve got cameras, doorbells etc connected. 

The fact that this is such an old issue and still not resolved is completely unacceptable. What is the latest from VM on when there will be an actual fix for this? (Not a go out and buy a third party router - which itself is a ridiculous statement). 

Hi @morgan1992,

Thanks for your post and I am sorry you're having this issue too! It's a firmware issue that we are aware off and our support team are working on it. 

Have you attempted a pin hole reset? 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I don’t understand why you would even suggest this again when it’s not even a fix for the issue and the actual fix is to use another manufacturers router 😫

There’s literally pages and pages of people who’ve tried a pinhole test and it’s nothing to do with that - it’s a firmware problem, you even said it yourself. 

A genuine question, are we entitled to any form of compensation / discount on our bills for the absolute hassle of having to buy other routers for a year-long well documented firmware problem which surely must be priority to fix and has been just ignored?

I can’t see that there’s a team of engineers sat around desks for a year now scratching their heads to fix a minor issue. 

Would it jump the priority queue we all lodge complaints and start asking for reimbursement for routers that we’ve had to buy, as per Virgin’s official advice?

I’m going to be calling VM tomorrow (Monday) im sick to my back teeth of having to reset the SSID (to what’s getting) every other day! The router just seems to restart itself at random times very often. Then last week, the area had a VERY short power cut. So short it didn’t even turn my tv off. You guessed it, i had to reset the SSID. The next morning at 4:30am!! We had another power cut, which yet again reset the SSID which left a couple of my Amazon Echo’s SHOUTING at me about the fact they were no longer connected to my network. My cctv also went down and a couple of smart plugs didn’t work either. The plugs are used on my coffee machine and toaster so ready when i come downstairs in the morning. The plugs and cctv only work on 2.4 and my echo’s are on 2.4 as they are connected to other items which also only run on 2.4 so have to be on the same network. I had already bought two Eero’s from when i had the hub 3 and these work flawlessly. I will NOT be buying another router, just for the 2.4. Why should I ? I have had this problem since the day i got this hub4. The only reason i have this hub4 is because i got an email from VM telling me i could have one. At no point was i told that once i got the thing, i would be stuck in a 24m contract. But so far as i see it, i am not getting what i pay for and all i am getting is a very well documented firmware issue that has been a problem for at the very least a YEAR! I have taken screenshots of all the “we are working on it” and where it shows the VM “fault ticket” references, that have been there from months to a year. 
Apart from this ridiculous issue, i am happy with the broadband i get from VM. Thing is, It’s getting too much now. I didn’t want to throw in the ‘disability’ card, but yes i am disabled and have all my smart items to help with daily challenges. So when these no longer work, it doesn’t help at all. Then theres having to mess about with the router…. Its just getting very old now and I’ve had enough!!

I get your frustration, and the suggested fixes are more than useless.  One fix that DOES work for most and is buried in the early pages of this thread is to disable Smart Wifi Optimisation.  The link to the original thread with this fox is here.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-0-reboot-bug-resets-custom-2-4ghz-SSI...

if you require the wifi pods then this won’t work as you need it for them.  Otherwise there’s very little that disabling this will affect.  So disable it then reboot your router a couple of times.  The first time I reset it after changing it seemed to change the 2.4 back, but the second time it held.  I’ve had it set this way since last year whenever we got the router and have had a few power outages and flashes, and a couple of manual resets and the 2.4 SSID has remained.

I hope this helps.  The thread got so long that this fix got lost. It’s still something we shouldn’t have to do, and it’s still taking the absolute P*as that it’s been an issue for as long as it has without any appearance of attempting to fix it.  The fact that the first suggestion is to do a pinhole reset when it’s been known for a year that it doesn’t work is the equivalent of sticking 2 fingers up at the people experiencing the issue and telling them they’re stupid.  It wasn’t until a couple of months back that ANYONE actually admitted it was an actual problem and was being looked into.

Anyway, if you don’t need the smart wifi enabled, then turn it off and you’re all set without having to splash out on a separate modem.

I think we all should ring VM Monday and ask for compensation. 

Hi all,

Got on the phone to VM told them the problem with the SSID. I was sent a new hub 4 (even though i knew i would have the same issue) i thought you never know.

Same issue, been on the phone to the technical department. The technician told me that was the design of the hub 4 after power loss, to revert back the original SSID. I told him that did not happen to the 2.4ghz, he said that was the design.

FORUM TEAM what is going on, is it going to be fixed. does that reference number that Beth_G put on the forum mean anything?? (Reference F009629413)

Correction to part of massage 

I told him that did not happen to the 5ghz only the 2.4ghz goes back the original SSID

VM team “yes, yes, its designed to do that”. Rubbish! Or it wouldn’t have an open ticket. And we wouldn’t be given “fixes”. Im definitely calling Monday morning.