cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

Hi John

Thanks for helpful information.

Yes it is a V6 box. The 'marginal' signal is usually between 30-37%.

No I am not eligible for free Pod, and don't want to spend the £5 per month. So  I will look at the Powerline solution, but I was trying to avoid having to have two more devices permanently powered on.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you not run an ethernet cable from the Hub to the V6? Think creatively about how that could run. For example I could run exterior grade cable from the Hub, outside via an airbrick, up the side of the house and into the bedroom through aniother airbrick. I chose not to as I invested in better quality wireless equipment. Other routes may be possible.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@movisman wrote:

I posted over three months ago about this issue with a workaround which essentially revolves around disabling Smart WiFi Channel Optimisation:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-0-reboot-bug-resets-custom-2-4ghz-SSI...

It IS a bug and factory resetting the Hub does not help if you want to use custom SSID names. But disabling Smart WiFi Channel Optimisation will stop your SSID's being reset when the device is rebooted.

VM acknowledged it is a bug and apparently had forwarded it to the relevant department to fix. However, 3.5 months later and still no update. Very bad form, this issue really does need fixing. Come on VM....

I just had my hub delivered this week and set it up Friday.  4 of my devices wouldn’t work after changing back to my personal SSID.  I checked and found this issue just as everyone else is describing here.  I’m slowly working my way through all the posts.

I was hopeful for this workaround, but sadly it didn’t help me.  When the Hub 4 rebooted, it still reset the 2.4Ghz channel.  I tried a few times in case I was doing something wrong.

So unless there’s another workaround in the posts I haven’t read yet it looks like I’m either going to just have to accept 2 channel names or get a separate router which is an expense I was not planning on.  And I’m also clueless as to what’s the best router for the speed, and how to even set it up.  

I just want to access the internet, stream TV, and hubby to play games.  It shouldn’t be this hard. 

@Zoie_P wrote:

Hi SouthWest111, 

Thank you for your post 🙂 
I have checked the ticket number we provided and this has been close das resolved. Are you still having issues?

Zoie

That’s shocking that it’s been closed since, as I have just described on the above post, I have just received my Hub 4 and am also experiencing the exact same issues.  Only in my case the ‘workaround’ doesn’t even  work.

Poor show VM

While I’m appreciating the upgraded speed that came with Volt, my Superhub 2 caused less issues than this one.  It would be a great piece of kit if it worked like it’s supposed to 

Just got the hub 4  has the same issue, SSID back to default.

How long does it take to fix?

7 months and counting 

I still have my old hub 3, might plug that back in 

Yep, it’s an absolute joke.

@Richard785 wrote:

Just got the hub 4  has the same issue, SSID back to default.

How long does it take to fix?

7 months and counting 

I still have my old hub 3, might plug that back in 

plugging the hub3 in will not work out of the box - you need CS to add it back to your account - sometimes thats easy other times an uphill battle - if you get them to do it that would automatically delete the hub4 from the account as you can only have one registered hub

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Richard785
On our wavelength

Thanks Tony i understand 👍, uphill for 7 months is a joke. Its only been a week for my and I'm pi**** off.

Just spoke with VM it's only the 2.4ghz that changes back to default SSID.

95% of my devices run on 5ghz, not the point. Hub 4 should have been fixed by now.

Hub 3 superior to the hub 4.

if not fixed soon iI will send the hub 4 back to them (with a hammer hole in it, cos that's what it is worth) 

Thanks for your post and update, Richard785,

Have we tried replacing the hub 4 for another one to see if that helped?

Cheers,

Corey C

@Corey_C wrote:

Thanks for your post and update, Richard785,

Have we tried replacing the hub 4 for another one to see if that helped?

Cheers,

Corey C

Why?  It’s clearly an issue with the Hub 4 which has gone back months before the start of this thread even.  I added my report a few weeks ago.  There’s been another since my report.  What is changing the hub going to do?  There is a workaround which is working for most, but we shouldn’t be having to workaround it.  It should work as intended