cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

Welcome back to the community @JeffGlaister.

Have you had any further issues since you last posted with this?

Regards,

Steven_L

I have another issue with intermittent drops on my connection - when browsing/streaming/using teams etc, we get brief annoying pauses. As part of that from following the "Tech Support" web based "solutions", I reset the Hub 4 back to default, then re-changed my settings back to what they were. At the moment I left the Optimise ticked as I wanted to ensure that this wasn't causing the dropouts issue. To be honest for me the upgrade to the Hub 4 hasn't been the best - I feel I would have been better off sticking with the Hub 3.

Hi JeffGlaister, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. I'm sorry you feel this way. 

Checking the account, it looks as though a fault has developed in your area. The details of these are below:

• Fault reference number: F009265580
  • Estimated fix time: 16 SEP 2021 14:15
  • Description: Status report || You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. 

If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi there

Hub 4 installed  a few days ago and I am having the same issue

Any update on when this might be fixed?

After a long call with tech support I was told reset SSID to default if I wanted to use channel optimisation

As a few others have commented this is not ideal and effectively disables basic security measures.

One question on this - do I need to revert to default SSID only - or both default SSID and password

I would like to knowe before I consider this and then have to update various connected devices

Thanks in advance for your response

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi SouthWest111, 

Thank you for your post 🙂 
I have checked the ticket number we provided and this has been close das resolved. Are you still having issues?

Zoie

davidipswich
Tuning in

I have exactly the same problem, its very annoying if away from home ! I have telephoned VM but never received an answer as to why it keeps happing ? 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @davidipswich,

I am sorry for any issues with your Hub-4.

What have you done recently to try and resolve it?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I’m unclear as to why this ticket has been closed. I myself was asked for it to be sent to second line support. People are still commenting on the issue, ticket gets closed, you explain again. It just goes round in circles. 

I’ve turned my channel optimisation off in order for it to keep my own SSID. The fact it resets is poor and it kept taking out my CCTV. Turning the optimisation feature off resolved it from resetting the SSID. However, when you lose a feature, it is hardly a fix. 

I’d appreciate the complaints process at this stage. I may post the reference number if I get one and suggest the other members connect it to their own compliant as it’s unlikely to be fixed any time soon. 

Hi 

Not sure what ticket you are referring to

I still have two problems:

1 poor WiFi signal in lounge. TiVo box is in this room and was having frequent network issues as a result so Catch-up, Netflix etc frequently unavailable. An engineer called and replaced Hub 3 with Hub 4. The situation has improved but Wifi still very poor in the room and now occasionally TiVo network issues 

2 the SSID issue documented in this thread which arrived with the new Hub 4

with issue 1, even with poor Wifi other devices can connect and be usable in the room when sometimes TiVo cannot connect to network. When it does connect signal always shows as ‘marginal’

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say Tivo - I take it you mean a V6 or 360? A Tivo has no wif capability - it connects via its own modem down the coax connection.

Best way to connect any device is by ethernet cable - if that is convenient.  I have one V6 connected that way... but 2 others on wifi. Those connections are best done over the 5GHz frequency - I am in modem mode with my own wireless equipment split to separate the 2 wifi bands. If I go to the V6 settings and -> Network it shows at 95% signal - excellent.  What % does yours show as its "marginal"?

You could also try to improve the wifi at the V6 location (if you cant get an ethernet cable to it easily).

VM now supply Pods for wifi - but I would recommend getting your own kit unless you are on the 1GB or U-Ooomph packages (are you) when they supply them for free..

Or a pair of basic powerline adpaters connected to the Hub by 2 short Cat6a ethernet cables should also sort it and work better.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.