Menu
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 bug with software version 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20 resetting SSID

I have a shiny new Hub 4 with my TV360 setup. I have some old 2.4 GHz devices and I like to have unique SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz with just the frequency in brackets to differentiate the names.

The problem is that for some reason the Hub 4 has now twice reset the 2.4 GHz SSID back to the original VMxxxxxxxx name without my doing anything to it.

Will you please look into fixing this issue VM.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 bug with software version 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20 resetting SSID

Do a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub. Make sure Channel Optimisation is also disabled

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That sounds like the voice of experience coming through WRT Channel Optimisation... Did you also find that after clicking apply (to make the change of turning off channel optimisation stick) that when you then went to go to the security page, you were prompted with a warning about needing to apply the change you'd just made and already applied - does the Hub 4 have Alzheimer's?

Anyway, I had already done a factory reset initiated from the 192.168.0.1 web dashboard after the first time my 2.4 GHz SSID was forgotten but this morning I've tried the manual pinhole reset (for the full minute) as you detailed and have gone in and reconfigured my unique SSIDs. It didn't happen right away last time (and channel optimisation was left at its default 'on' setting) but I'll monitor this over the next few days to see if this problem reoccurs.

One question - why do you suggest turning off channel optimisation?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Flying_Kiwi wrote:

One question - why do you suggest turning off channel optimisation?

It’s buggy and doesn’t pick clear channels.

It’s always better for the user to asses the Wifi channels manually and pick set ones themselves to use. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

Sorry to hear that the SSID has been resetting, do let us know how it goes after your reset.

Cheers,

Corey C

Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for taking an interest in this @Corey_C and sorry I don't know/remember how to make your handle linkable in this post.

A cotton bud stripped of the cotton at one end proved handy for pressing in the recessed reset button on the Hub 4 and now I'm just waiting to seen if the problem recurs a third time. It may take few more days but I have a feeling the problem will return. It sounds like there's a second issue that also needs attention regarding the Channel Optimisation.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Flying_Kiwi wrote:

<snip>  It sounds like there's a second issue that also needs attention regarding the Channel Optimisation.

The Channel Optimisation needs to be on for the "new" VM wifi Pods.  However, if you don't have these consensus seems to be split the SSID and turn off all the "smart" wifi options. Analyse the environment in your house and set the wifi channels manually as you see fit.

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, I'm not able to bring up your account infor but if you want me to take a look at your connection for you, I can send you a PM.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When I worked as a computer tech it was many years ago and all the PCs were connected by ethernet cables so excuse my ignorance on this matter. How does one go about assessing the environment and choosing the right channels? Is it simply just a case of doing speed tests and looking at the signal strength bars on the connected devices or is there more to it?

Given what you say about Channel Optimisation needing to be on for those using range extenders/boosters, I do hope VM is working hard to nail down those bugs.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Best bet is to download a WiFi analyser app - that'll show what SSIDs are broadcasting on what channels

Ideally (for 2.4GHz) should be 1, 6 or 11

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7