Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 and tp link X20

bazlou69
Joining in

Hi All

I,m looking for some help!!

Quick run down of whats going on( i,m no techy so please be kind!).

Ok i have had Hub 3 and 500 meg internet for 2 years with X20 mesh system with no problems at all wifi brilliant all around the 4 bed detached house. I have now upgraded to 1 meg and hub4, Can not for the life of me get the Mesh system to work with it ,I have a virgin pod and even with  iton i can not connect to my google home in the next room?. My d/l speed to pc with ethernet is around 850 megs  u/p 45 meg.

Even the mobile phones in the house are struggling to get a decent signal from the wifi .

Have spoken to virgin and they said there going to send me another pod for £5 .00 a month which will cure all my problems... some how i dont think so.

Could anyone here give me a easy version of how to set up my tp link X20 mesh with the hub4 also is 850 meg d/l ok when i look on the virgin website there saying i should get between 1050-1300 d/l?

thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@bazlou69 wrote:

Thanks for that info but do you have any idea how i set up DHCP on the tp link ?

i get to the blue flashing light on mesh but then goes red and say cannot connect to your internet DHCP protocol?

Is this after following my steps?

Only the tp link is connected to the HUB?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to put your hub into modem mode, instructions:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

hi

I have the hub 4  and i have it in modem mode have followed all instructions and mesh system loads to the point where i have blue  flashing light,Then i get a message :can not connect to your internet:

then something about DHCP? not sure what that means?.

Could anyone guide me please?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your mesh systems WAN port should be set to DHCP.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the update Tudor

But i have not got a clue how to do that ?

ive looked on tp link web site and if i,m honest i,m a bit baffled!

Regards 

Baz

Do you have anything else plugged into the the HUB other than the tp link?

My ethernet cable and virgin TV

@bazlou69 wrote:

My ethernet cable and virgin TV

When the HUB is in modem mode you can only have one Ethernet device plugged in, in this case it will be your tp link. All other wired devices must be plugged into the tp link.

Turn off both HUB and tp link, unplug all wired devices from HUB with the exception of the tp link.

Turn on the tp link and wait for it to fully power on, then turn on the HUB.

Once it's working you can plug all your wired devices into the tp link.

It sounds like when you had the HUB 3 it was in router mode.

Thank you very much for your help its much appreciated.😁

@bazlou69 wrote:

Thank you very much for your help its much appreciated.😁

Just an additional note when the HUB is in modem mode it does not provide a wireless signal, so all wireless devices must be connected to the tp link.

The WiFi pod will be redundant also.