cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 and WiFi - Splitting the 2.4 and 5.0Ghz broadcasts

Eponemuss
Tuning in

Hi All,

I've just upgraded to Hub 4 and 1Gig service. It's early days yet and I'm giving the system chance to bed down before I pass judgement on it. 

I have a novice question on WiFi. I have some smart plugs that will only connect to 2.4GHz signal. Connecting them to WiFi has been problematic in the past and they frequently 'fall of' the WiFi altogether, despite being right next to the Hub (3). Should I separate out (rename) the individual 2.4 and 5.0 speeds to ease connection? If I keep them under the one name, does that affect the ability of the smart plugs to connect?

Also, I have a VM WiFi booster. With the Hub 3, it separated out the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz signals. When upstairs on the opposite side of the house to the Hub but right next to the booster I could connect to the 5.0 GHz broadcast and get very good performance. With the Hub 4 they're no longer showing up as two separate signals as presumably they are both going under the same SSID?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As a general comment, there are pros and cons regarding splitting the two wifi bands vs having them use the same SSID.

With the latest devices, and band steering, having the same SSID should make things simple and optimal - with the router and/or device choosing the best band for the location within the property.

However, some devices don't like a single SSID and therefore splitting the two bands, assigning a different network name (SSID) to each addresses a number of problems.

'Boosters' can present particular challenges as to which choice to use, and their functionality with/without the bands split.

It can be a case of try and see as there's no hard and fast rule - it depends on your unique situation with devices and environment.

There are a number of articles online including this one

Interesting observation regarding the Hub 4 and 5GHz from the OP - I would suggest trying with different devices and the latest drivers if possible to see if it's still the same situation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Mattlookin4help
Joining in

Did you get a solution as I have the same problem?  Virgin don’t seem able to help 

Virgin customer support is not the greatest at the moment.

As I didn’t get an answer on the forum, I had to do my own thing. I did split the signals and that helped with the connection of the WiFi plugs, but the issue with the 5Ghz signal not reaching upstairs persists. I think the general consensus on the forum is that the Hub 4 is not as powerful in the 5Ghz band as the Hub 3. 

Good luck!

Hi there @Eponemuss and @Mattlooking4help

I am so sorry that this post didn't get a sooner answer! But I am glad to see that splitting the signals helped with the connection to the WiFi plugs, but I am so sorry to hear the WiFi still isn't reaching as far. 

Can I ask @Mattlooking4help was your problem with connecting a device that needs to be on either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz or was it in regards to the WiFi signal in general? 

Thank you. 

As a general comment, there are pros and cons regarding splitting the two wifi bands vs having them use the same SSID.

With the latest devices, and band steering, having the same SSID should make things simple and optimal - with the router and/or device choosing the best band for the location within the property.

However, some devices don't like a single SSID and therefore splitting the two bands, assigning a different network name (SSID) to each addresses a number of problems.

'Boosters' can present particular challenges as to which choice to use, and their functionality with/without the bands split.

It can be a case of try and see as there's no hard and fast rule - it depends on your unique situation with devices and environment.

There are a number of articles online including this one

Interesting observation regarding the Hub 4 and 5GHz from the OP - I would suggest trying with different devices and the latest drivers if possible to see if it's still the same situation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi Ash

i think I was chatting to you on Facebook but someone referred me on to me after you.  My Ring equipment only works on 2.4 .  I split them as you said buy when I reset the router as said , the 2.4 ghz comes on but only for 5 minutes.  The 5 ghz is perfect.   What can I try next? I tried asking about the pods over the phone but didn’t have any luck 

Thanks for coming back to us @Mattlookin4help

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you having this issue on any other devices?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

No just Ring, 2ghz works in the morning but not any other time.  What can you do to help?   I’d ring but on the 3 times I attempted I got wrong info 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You may not want to do this, but it would ensure no more problems with WiFi. I have 2 Ubiquiti Wireless Access Points, on upstairs and one downstairs. They support up to 8 SSIDS. Currently I have a SSID device as xxx-5 for 5 GHz devices, xxx-2 for 2.4 GHz devices and xxx-25 with both 2.4 & 5 GHz devices. This works very will as I can choose which SSID I point my devices at.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Mattlookin4help,

Thanks for coming back to us to get help with your Ring Camera device, I am sorry it only seems to work intermittently. 

I have checked your services and the WIFI connection to the Ring device and cannot see any issues with the channel it is on or the signal it is receiving from the Hub. 

How are all your other devices performing on the WIFI?

Have you contacted the device's manufacturer to ask for support yet? 

Thanks,

Megan_L