cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 and Orbi Mesh

philr123
On our wavelength

I currently have my Hub 4 connected to an Orbi Mesh Wifi Hub (with Orbi as a router not as an AP and the Hub 4 as a modem).

Wifi speed on the 5G wifi from the Virgin hub is c.200mbps (even beside the router) but the speed from the Orbi is only 60-70 (despite it being connected by ethernet cable to the Virgin router that is getting 500-600 mbps).

Turning the Virgin Hub into a modem made no difference.

Any ideas highly appreciated - I have had two Virgin engineers out now and a new Virgin Hub but they do not understand why even the wifi speed from the hub is so low (given only 2 competing wifi routers and we are on an uncongested channels and speedtesting directly beside it)

Cheers

Phil

12 REPLIES 12

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
1 - What spec is the NIC on the Orbi? Is it 10/100 or 100/1000 ?
2 - What speeds do you get on the Orbi if you disable wifi on the Hub 4 ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Have you disabled any QOS features on the Orbi?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

conman33158
Super solver

Also make sure your Ethernet cable is Cat 5e or above.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

philr123
On our wavelength

Hi found it

100M Full on LAN 1 (where it is connected)

the speed is still 60-70 with no wireless signal from the Hub 

Cheers

If it's 100mb on the Ethernet on the Orbi then 60mb-70mb would be about right

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Sorry missed a 0 it is 1000m/full  so it should be taking the full 600mbps coming down the pipe to the hub

100mbps?

It needs to be 1000Mbps.

What is the spec of the cable?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Hi it is a cat 6 cable and I did try another cat 6 cable just in case and got the same result 

What speed do you get wired to the Orbi?