cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4: Wifi Drops frequently.

Eyebee
Tuning in

I have the Hub 4. I have my Mac Mini connected via Ethernet, and there's no issue. I have a 1GB package.

However, devices using wifi such as my iPhones and iPads are forever suddenly dropping out. I then have to go to my phone or tablet settings, turn wifi off and back on and reconnect for another few minutes. This random disconnection happens with all devices, even if I sit 2-3 feet away from Hub 4.

It is incredibly frustrating. 

I have one of the mesh type boosters plugged in the living room, which serves the TV, an Xbox, the Sky Q box and a Wii. (via a switch). No problem with those maintaining a constant connection, either. Has anyone had this experience and have any ideas on how to solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you mean you have a VM Pod for wifi (do you?) and that is working fine, then you have a combined SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz frequency signals. Some equipment doesnt play nicely with that setting.

One solution was to try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz)

However if you do that on the Hub - then the Pod wont work.

You could always get your own "better" router and wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you mean you have a VM Pod for wifi (do you?) and that is working fine, then you have a combined SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz frequency signals. Some equipment doesnt play nicely with that setting.

One solution was to try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz)

However if you do that on the Hub - then the Pod wont work.

You could always get your own "better" router and wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply, John.

I have already done what you suggest. I initially thought that's great, no dropouts. Then I put the TV on and No Connection, as it's going thru the Pod. (I couldn't remember the name of the darn thing!). I have thought about setting up a mesh system, using modem mode on the Hub 4, but it's annoying to have to spend another wodge on dosh when Virgin crow about how wonderful their Hub 4 is. The range of the thing is pitiful too!

I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get another router. I did that a few years back, and I had a rock-solid house-wide signal with an Asus router. After 6 or 7 years, it gave up the ghost, and as I'd just got the Hub 3, I thought I'd go with that. I must admit the wifi around the house has always been poor in places, and the powerline adaptors were a waste of time.

Hi there @Eyebee

Thank you so much for your post and thank you to @jbrennand for their help and advise so far! 

I'm so sorry to hear you are facing these drops and I understand how frustrating this must be! 

Are you able to set up a BQM for us and let it run for 48 hours then post the results so we can see what is happening with these disconnects? 

Thank you.