cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 WiFi & hardwire intermittent issues

Edward036
On our wavelength

Hi, I’ve been having WiFi issues for months, poor download speeds, dropping out etc Thought it may have been due to the number of devices connected, the kids with Netflix etc, phones, etc etc so upgraded from the 500meg to 1Gb a couple of weeks ago. The same issue occurred, poor WiFi, could stand next to hub 4 and would be exactly the same. Engineer came out, replaced cables, checked connections, checked cabinet etc - all fine, that Sam knows show 1200ish going into hub but output is 50-300 and as low as 10 at times. The engineer stripped hub back as well, removed all lan cables into hub, reset it etc and the output was still the same. He couldn’t explain it and a manager with a laptop needs to come out in a couple of weeks!!! Anyone else had a similar issue/can suggest anything while I wait ? Thx

45 REPLIES 45

Edward036
On our wavelength

Ah, okay, thank you

its not got much betterScreenshot 2022-02-23 at 09.01.45.png

I've got the same exact issue with Hub 4

Seems like it's hardware/firmware related

Oh!! Has it been resolved? How did you know?!? Thx

Mind you, I upgraded from 500mb to the 1g as I was having similar issues and put it down to needing more bandwidth due to high usage, streaming, gaming etc 

So upgraded from Hub 3 to hub 4 and the issue continued.

Not been resolved yet haha, I got upgraded from 100mb to 1Gb and since fitting the Hub 4, Ethernet straight to the Hub 4 gives me 270mb max download, WiFi gives me max 400mb download. All devices I've tested with are Gigabit capable but no luck

Had engineer come out on Monday and he said the same thing, he's got 6/7 users with himself having the exact same issue, advised that replacing the box didn't make a difference because he thinks it's a firmware issue (Yet to be confirmed of course but taking faulty hardware out the occasion only makes sense)

When he used his own equipment to test my connected (To see what speeds the Hub 4 is getting in and then outputting his speeds were matching mine and he said unless Virgin gets the modem manufacturer to push an update out he doesn't see how they'll resolve the issue)

He even said himself that the Hub 5 is pointless (Fitted 20+ of them to new customers and all 20+ couldn't get the Hub 5 to work) and said that the Hub 3 is currently the most stable but only provides speeds up to 600mb

A lot of users in the same boat currently from what I can see

Sorry to hear that, it's such a headache and one we shouldn't have to be dealing with.

I wonder what the common denominator is as this doesn't happen to every customer, as you said the engineer had 6/7 customers with the same issue. 

Where about's are you? Im in watford.

And still getting this service.

Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 11.40.12.png

Yeah not sure to be fair, the engineer thinks it's firmware related but if other users are on 1G with the SH4 then not sure...but yeah he's said he's got an email chain with his boss and they're trying to work out what it could be (Although from what I saw in the email he showed me they looked all a bit lost? Advising that changing the 5GHz WiFi channel will resolve this lol)

I'm in Birmingham, so it can't even be area related lol. Has to be something to do with the Hub not sending the 1GB signal through ethernet and WiFi

Cheers, I wonder if changing the hub might work, a hub 6?

Is this forum monitored by Virgin ? Just wondering if they have anything to say about my BQM.  Just had enough, its absolutely ridiculous that you have to even go onto a forum to try and fix your own broadband.

Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 16.58.18.png