cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 - Port speeds

richardjcurtis
Tuning in

I have the 500mb link from Virgin, and I had been troubleshooting a Wi-Fi issue for quite a while. I have a home with 3 floors. The Hub 4 is placed in the middle floor in the living room. The Wi-Fi signal is great in the middle floor, however not so great upstairs or downstairs. I obtained 2 x Wi-Fi pods. Placed on in the stairway just outside the living room. The 2nd one I placed downstairs, but the signal was poor and was only getting about 40Mbps on Wifi. The nearest plug point was too far. I then moved the 2nd one upstairs. It worked well upstairs, so that has been resolved. 

I then installed a Unifi UAC-AP-HD wireless access point downstairs, connected to a Gigabit PoE injector, which then plugged into port 4 of the Hub 4. Wireless then worked downstairs, however, was only getting 95Mbps. I tested everything, only to find that when I plugged my laptop into port 4 on the router, i also only received around 95mbps on a speed test. Moved the cable onto port 2 and I was getting around 240mbps, where previously I got around 450mbps. The port speeds seem to be very erratic. Are some of the ports 10/100 and others 1000?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We appreciate the feedback richardjcurtis regarding the ethernet ports on the Hub 4 and potential issues. We're always looking to improve the services and experience our customers receive so will be sure to pass this to the team to look into further. Thanks again!

Rob

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey richardjcurtis, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear you are having some connection issues.

The thing is, we can't guarantee our equipment to work with 3rd party kit and when it does work we can't promise it would work well together.

We can look at getting a 3rd pod out for you if wish.

Please do let me know. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks Matt, 

appreciate the response. I think I have resolved it for now.

The Unifi AP downstairs is now giving me 390Mbps on a speed test. I had a NowTV box plugged in via ethernet to the Hub4, this is only 10/100 and it seems that the hub 4 has a bug where any 10/100 device slows the speed for the rest of the ports, as soon as I unplugged that device, it works fine now. Don't think I need another WIFI pod now but will let you know if I do.

Additionally, the third party kit isn't or wasn't the issue, its the way the hub 4 deals with both 10/100 and 1000 connections on different ports. its the switch management portion that seems to be a nit lacking.

We appreciate the feedback richardjcurtis regarding the ethernet ports on the Hub 4 and potential issues. We're always looking to improve the services and experience our customers receive so will be sure to pass this to the team to look into further. Thanks again!

Rob