Hub 4 Ping/Latency spikes

Shock2
On our wavelength

My Broadcast Quality Monitor. 

Just need some expertise on the Hub 4.

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

There's very little experience or expertise with the Hub 4 thus far, although the forum staff will pick this up in due course and advise on what can be done.  In terms of even simple stuff like the meaning of the lights, VM were "unable" to help, and we had to find the answer on sister-company UPC's website.  Arguably, Hub 4 users are currently guinea pigs.

Looking at the BQM, it appears like evening congestion to me.  Not as persistent through the day as I'd expect given the current levels of home working, but as one of the claimed benefits of the Hub 4 was that it addresses "over-utilisation" of local segments, maybe the Hub 4 improves but doesn't solve the problem?  If you've got a Hub 4 and you're not on the Gig 1 contract then it is almost certain that you're in an area subject to over-utilisation.  If you' are on Gig 1 then the over-utilisation theory may or may not apply. 

Shock2
On our wavelength

I'm not on the Gig1 Contract, would that be something worth looking into or will it simply just increase speeds whilst maintaining latency issues.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you've got a Hub 4 and you're not on a Gig 1 connection, then you're 99%+ certain to be in an area subject to over-utilisation.  DO NOT upgrade your speed, it won't make any difference to the problem if it is over-utilisation (although your bills will go up), because the ultimate cause is that the local network lacks capacity at some pinch point.  If you went for a Gig 1 connection you'd probably find peak time speeds no better than you get at the moment, and latency would be equally poor.

We (community users) are very much in the dark about how effective the Hub 4 actually is in reducing congestion.  A similar strategy certainly worked when VM moved from the Superhub 2 to the Hub 3, so there is hope, but I suspect (without expert knowledge) there's some critical proportion of local users have to be using the Hub 4 for the benefits to be realised, and perhaps that's what the BQM is showing, that things aren't now as bad as classic over-utilisation, but they've not yet fully resolved the capacity issues on the local network.  

Possibly the forum staff can advise of some other cause to your BQM, if it is over-utilisation then you may be looking at a couple of months of poor performance whilst the Hub 4 is trickled/rolled/gushed out to your neighbours.  Treat any promised "fix date" for over-utilisation with the deepest suspicion - the problem may well get fixed by the Hub 4 rollout, but the actual fix dates seem to be plucked out of the air with no supporting evidence.

Shock2
On our wavelength

Is it likely a forum staff member will come across this?

The issues arose recently and I've had the hub 4 a couple of months, is there anything I can do to identify if it's on my end somehow?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If your in router mode when high ping happens then disable the wireless on the hub and unplug your wired devices for a hour. if ping still high its a utilisation issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shock2
On our wavelength

The hub 4 is connected to an extender via ethernet and most devices in the house are connected to the extender so I'm gonna mess around see if that has an Impact.

Mvagizmo
Joining in

Hi,

So I had very similar issues with my Hub 4. I have upgraded from the VM 350 on hub 3 never had any issues though fancied the 1gig.

Received hub 4 router..... And problems began instantly. While gaming I would see ping spikes/ lost packets etc and plane would crash etc in game. Would get messages bad connection.

In ms teams my calls would be poor quality. Did a ping check and found I was typically loosing between 11 and 35% of packets. Didnt matter on time of day. Ethernet speed was good at 900+ WiFi was terrible 40-120mb

WiFi from the hub 4 was really not good. Most devices kept disconnecting so switched over to my mesh.

This weekend I got sick of getting destroyed in games so started testing everything I saw in forums. Nothing worked until I stumbled on one suggestion about using my mesh as the router and the hub 4 as modem. 

So I put the hub 4 in modem mode and ran the Ethernet cable from the hub 4 to my mesh hub a deco m5. Then ran an Ethernet from that to my netgear switch which then splits the Ethernet to my other wired devices and the mesh takes care of WiFi.

• Problem solved, I'm in to my second day so far and not had a single packet lost/ spike etc poor vid call or anything 900+ on ethernet and 450+ on wifi