cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 PODs and Separate 2.4 and 5 SSIDS

kevkdg
Dialled in

Hello,

I have a Hub 4 with some SMART plugs/doorbell/camera's connected on the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi as these won't work on 5 GHz.  I recall I had trouble getting them to connect when it was a combined 2.4/5 SSID so ended up creating two separate SSIDs to get around this.

I have upgraded to the 1 GB Broadband package, and as the PODs are free on this package I decided to give them a try in order to eliminate some Wi-Fi blackspots.

I am wondering though, will these work with the separate SSID's still?  If not I guess I will have to go back to one, so thought maybe the "Guest Network" could be enabled to handle these 2.4 GHz SMART devices, but I can see no option after enabling Guest Network to specify the frequency for it.... any ideas?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Experiment over.

I added a couple of devices for 5GHz and enabled wireless MAC filtering by selecting "Allow".... this worked fine and the router showed these 2 devices as connected on 5GHz.

I then switched my POD on and waited a couple of minutes....

However, most of my other devices that were not included in the wireless MAC filtering "Allow" list at all still managed to connect via the POD, however these did not show as connected devices on the router.  But all worked, each device locally showed the SSID and internet and streaming all worked fine!

When I switched the POD off (I only have one POD), these devices lost connection and were not able to re-connect directly via the Router (which makes sense as they are not in the routers wireless MAC filtering "allow" list).

I then "Disabled" wireless MAC filtering and they all re-connected (POD still off) via the Hub 4 Router as expected.

What does NOT make sense is that the wireless MAC filtering does not extend to devices connected via a POD and that these devices also do NOT show up as connected devices on the router.  I considered the POD, as part of a MESH network to be governed by the settings in the router!!

Also, for my PC in the same room as the POD, the speed when connected via the POD is half that as of when connected direct to router, even though the signal is stronger.

OMG, the POD is so bad, stronger signal on upper floor so devices connect via it BUT actual speed via POD is slower.  Then to round things off, now that the SSID is combined, the automatic control over whether the device connects to 2.4GHz or 5GHz is really annoying as 2.4GHz is so slow!  The whole set up is next to useless on the Wi-Fi side.

Looking at whether to buy two of these:

Asus RT-AX92U AX6100 Tri-Band

or get two of these:

Asus ZenWiFi AX Tri-Band XT8's

I think I need a mesh that allows for split SSID's unless these routers can handle auto assigning devices using a combined SSID better than the HUB4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Ubiquiti Wireless Access Points I use allow you to have 8 SSIDs, I have SIDSs like my2, my5, my25, iot2 and iot5.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2