cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Modem mode

GoodSamaritan
Up to speed

Prior to taking part in 1gb trial I had an Asus rt ac68u which I used instead of hub 3. During the trial I tested my hub 4 with Asus and all good but for the sake of the trial I kept the hub 4 going.

Today I decided to switch back to Asus with usual set up with Hub 4 in modem mode. All was good but I was only getting 250mb download so I swapped my cat 5e for the virgin cat 6 supplied and this is when it all went wrong.

I could not get my Asus to connect.

1. I factory reset both hubs and started all over again still no connection.

2. Called second line faults 3 times and walked through re setting hub 4 but no luck and was told my third party router was the issue.

Here is what I have discovered.

when in modem mode and all set up correctly my Asus can not detect connection from hub 4 (port 4) . If I plug in to the hub 4 directly from desktop I can access the hub 4 but no internet. if I reboot I get internet.

Occasionally the hub 4 says no RF connection (no idea what this means) on status page and when in modem mode I can also access it via 192.168.0.1 which should take me to the Asus. When it does this I can access internet  whilst plugged in to Asus as if its just passing through.

I have now factory reset the hub 4 and changed password and when I try and access the hub it tells me password is wrong. I try the password on the base and that is wrong also???

I feel the thing is so glitchy 

It all worked previously and my set up has not changed.

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
56 REPLIES 56

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

in my WiFi 5 connection my theoretical max is 433 which is why I'd never see the 550 I get on the wired connection.”

Don’t confuse WiFi5 with capabilities of your wireless equipment. It all depends on the equipment, I think WiFi 5 has a physical speed of 866.7M, but then all WiFi is half-duplex not like full-duplex Ethernet. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

ukefc
Joining in

I'm getting a Hub4 on Friday and moving to 1GB fibre.

My Hub 3 is set to "router mode" and I have 3 ethernet cables plugged directly into the Hub 3. I also use Eero mesh wifi and I have an ethernet cable plugged into the 4th port on the Hub 3. This works perfectly. All devices connected by the ethernet cables work fine and my Eero sends out better wifi right across the house.

Sounds like this is unusual as the Hub would normally be set to "modem" mode, but when I did this a year ago, "modem" mode did not work for me. Maybe it's something to do with Eero? Not sure.

I'll see what happens when the new Hub arrives.

Hi everyone, 

My first post in broadband section of the community. I usually post in the TV section!

I have had a hub4 and 1gb for nearly 2 years now. Upgraded in an attempt to use standard VM equipment to address bedroom blackspots and lag issues in my small but solid brick walled house. it didnt work. Tried superpods but again didnt improve things as I assumed the backhaul still struggled as superpods are very short range solutions.

My hub4 has 3 wired devices connected , LG65OLEDCX, VM V6 STB and PS5 and is in close proximity to those devices via 3 3M cat8 RJ45 cables in living room.

So to resolve wifi issues in bedroom I bought a tp link AX73. This is connected via a 5m RJ45 cable and has been positioned more centrally. Unfortunately the wired devices do mot reach it and I wanted them to remain in the hub4.

So i switched Hub4 to modem, then spent an hour working out why my wired devices on the hub4 bar 1 failed to connect until I read here that only 1 port is active in modem mode. No good for me!

So resetting the hub4 back to router, the tp link works and the wired devices work as the hub4 retains the Gig1 ethernet ports. It means though I have 2 SSID from which to connect. I'm OK with this but can anyone advise if there is a better way to set up eg set tp link as access point only or use hub4 modem mode and use a switch on the 1 active ethernet port?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

@jonathanpye wrote:

So to resolve wifi issues in bedroom I bought a tp link AX73. This is connected via a 5m RJ45 cable and has been positioned more centrally. Unfortunately the wired devices do mot reach it and I wanted them to remain in the hub4.

So you have a hub in router mode all wired devices connect to it fine you get a router and you move it away from the hub and now you say wired devices can't connect to it....do you see where your going wrong? More the router to the hub or buy longer cables or extend then.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VCE-Ethernet-Adapter-5-cat6-kupplung/dp/B07Q345W78/ref=sr_1_59?crid=377QO2P...

---------------------------------------------------------------

@jonathanpye wrote:

Hi everyone, 

My first post in broadband section of the community. I usually post in the TV section!

I have had a hub4 and 1gb for nearly 2 years now. Upgraded in an attempt to use standard VM equipment to address bedroom blackspots and lag issues in my small but solid brick walled house. it didnt work. Tried superpods but again didnt improve things as I assumed the backhaul still struggled as superpods are very short range solutions.

My hub4 has 3 wired devices connected , LG65OLEDCX, VM V6 STB and PS5 and is in close proximity to those devices via 3 3M cat8 RJ45 cables in living room.

So i switched Hub4 to modem, then spent an hour working out why my wired devices on the hub4 bar 1 failed to connect until I read here that only 1 port is active in modem mode. No good for me!

So resetting the hub4 back to router, the tp link works and the wired devices work as the hub4 retains the Gig1 ethernet ports. It means though I have 2 SSID from which to connect. I'm OK with this but can anyone advise if there is a better way to set up eg set tp link as access point only or use hub4 modem mode and use a switch on the 1 active ethernet port?

Thanks

Put the tp link in AP mode and disable WiFi on the HUB when in router mode.

I'm doing this currently until the HUB 5 is released to the masses, so I can make use of the 2.5Gbps port with my 2.5Gbps WAN port on my Asus.

The benefit of doing it this way, other than your current device placement, is the fact you'll, potentially, still be able to make use of your full 1140Mbps across all your wired and wireless devices (In modem mode you'll be limited to 940Mbps).

@legacy1 wrote:

@jonathanpye wrote:

So you have a hub in router mode all wired devices connect to it fine you get a router and you move it away from the hub and now you say wired devices can't connect to it....do you see where your going wrong? More the router to the hub or buy longer cables or extend then.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VCE-Ethernet-Adapter-5-cat6-kupplung/dp/B07Q345W78/ref=sr_1_59?crid=377QO2P...

I understand your response and was my orginal solution, however, even though this seems straight forward technically, there are non technical reasons i will describe as family politics as to why I cannot do it like this, otherwise I would have! Thanks for your response.

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

@carl_pearce wrote:

@jonathanpye wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks

Put the tp link in AP mode and disable WiFi on the HUB when in router mode.

I'm doing this currently until the HUB 5 is released to the masses, so I can make use of the 2.5Gbps port with my 2.5Gbps WAN port on my Asus.

The benefit of doing it this way, other than your current device placement, is the fact you'll, potentially, still be able to make use of your full 1140Mbps across all your wired and wireless devices (In modem mode you'll be limited to 940Mbps).

Thanks , I will try this option, fits in with my placement limitations!

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile