cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Modem mode

GoodSamaritan
Up to speed

Prior to taking part in 1gb trial I had an Asus rt ac68u which I used instead of hub 3. During the trial I tested my hub 4 with Asus and all good but for the sake of the trial I kept the hub 4 going.

Today I decided to switch back to Asus with usual set up with Hub 4 in modem mode. All was good but I was only getting 250mb download so I swapped my cat 5e for the virgin cat 6 supplied and this is when it all went wrong.

I could not get my Asus to connect.

1. I factory reset both hubs and started all over again still no connection.

2. Called second line faults 3 times and walked through re setting hub 4 but no luck and was told my third party router was the issue.

Here is what I have discovered.

when in modem mode and all set up correctly my Asus can not detect connection from hub 4 (port 4) . If I plug in to the hub 4 directly from desktop I can access the hub 4 but no internet. if I reboot I get internet.

Occasionally the hub 4 says no RF connection (no idea what this means) on status page and when in modem mode I can also access it via 192.168.0.1 which should take me to the Asus. When it does this I can access internet  whilst plugged in to Asus as if its just passing through.

I have now factory reset the hub 4 and changed password and when I try and access the hub it tells me password is wrong. I try the password on the base and that is wrong also???

I feel the thing is so glitchy 

It all worked previously and my set up has not changed.

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
56 REPLIES 56

Yes works a treat - much better using your own Access Point , like the EAP225 

( if you’ve got a big house Access Points)

VM happy camper 🙂 Hub4 NextGen360 Gig1 [modem mode] TP-Link Router + 3x EAP’s

thanks, that's great. it was really more the router functions that were my problem, rather than wifi spread. I've gotUniFi Dream Machine and lets see how that all work out!

thanks again

Lezduur
Tuning in

Very interested in this thread. Have the hub3 working well past year in modem mode and WiFi off obviously, connected to an Asus gt-ax 11000 which is using its backhaul second 5ghz to connect to two other Asus ax 92u routers. Getting my paid for speeds but upgrading to the 600MBps mid month, which comes with the hub4..

Thanks for all the tips. Hopefully everything will work out well..

@Lezduur wrote:

Very interested in this thread. Have the hub3 working well past year in modem mode and WiFi off obviously, connected to an Asus gt-ax 11000 which is using its backhaul second 5ghz to connect to two other Asus ax 92u routers. Getting my paid for speeds but upgrading to the 600MBps mid month, which comes with the hub4..

Thanks for all the tips. Hopefully everything will work out well..

You won’t regret the Hub4 and your own Router & Access Points 

VM happy camper 🙂 Hub4 NextGen360 Gig1 [modem mode] TP-Link Router + 3x EAP’s

Helgar
Joining in

Hi. Hope someone can offer me a bit of advice. 
Had the 1gb connection for about 15 months. It came with the hub 4 which I use in modem mode with my own router. 
When I do speed tests (wireless) to my phone or laptop the average speeds range from 200-400mb, sometimes dipping into the 100’s, very occasionally hitting 500+ and once just over 600. 

My router is the Asus ax86U and my phone is the iPhone 12 pro. 
While I wouldn’t expect absolute max speed I’d expect much more than I’m getting. 

Contacted Virgin who told me I shouldn’t really use the hub 4 in modem mode and all seems fine at their end. They did acknowledge the speeds seemed slow and have escalated it as a complaint.   

Can anybody offer help to improve the speed and consistency I’m receiving?

Thanks 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
What do you plan on doing with 1Gb to your Phone that you can't do at 100Mb?

Maybe you could buy a better AP.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Helgar, welcome!

I'm not an expert but I'd think if your wired speeds are near the expected values then there is a problem elsewhere. For reference my wired pc from an Asus mesh system is 550 from the 600mb line I have..my phone shows me a max 150 to 200 connection which is probably bandwidth limited by the 40 connected WiFi devices.

Is your iPhone  showing you an ax connection ie using WiFi 6?

There are apps to check whether there is congestion on your WiFi network from neighbours using similar channels. 

Hope some of this helps!

Thank you. That’s a speedy reply!

One issue I have is not having a proper wired device to check. I’m looking at the mo to get a USB - RJ45 connector for my laptop and testing it that way. 

What frustrates me is back when I had the 350mb connection I pretty much every time I checked I saw 360mb speed so at many times I’m worse off now. 

I do have quite a few wireless devices connected and didn’t realise it could affect speeds.although they aren’t all running at once.  
Also never looked into congestion. Could you recommend an app I could try?

Not sure how I’d check if it’s a wifi6 connection   Is this something I should see from my phone do you know?

thanks again for the help 

Hehe we get emails when anyone posts I think. 

Try WiFiman by ubiquiti it's pretty good.

In something like properties of the WiFi connection on your phone you could see the details which could help..though I haven't used an iPhone ever I wouldn't know where to find them.

The overall speed from your phone is limited by the WiFi connection bandwidth..in my WiFi 5 connection my theoretical max is 433 which is why I'd never see the 550 I get on the wired connection.

Ps virgin are talking bs about using the hub in modem mode. You can try if broadcast mode though id not think you'd get any improvement as I'm not sure it is an ax router like your Asus is..

Interesting reading this as I’m having the same problems. 

Cdn I ask what port is the one I use to output internet to my router? 

Port 1 has a cable in from the splitter cable that comes from my virgin supply in? 

the cable that splits into 4 with 2 going to the tv360 box and 2 going to the hub 4.0