Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Modem Mode - can't access Console

martin_skipsey
Tuning in

Just received my shiny new Hub 4.

I have a Mesh Wifi system to cover my house, so followed these steps:

1) Plugged it - everything worked, but obviously had Virgin Wifi enabled as well as my mesh

2) Logged into Admin Console using 192.168.0.1, changed the default password. Everything still fine

3) Switched to Modem Mode, and the Hub re-started. Internet came back up, so seemed fine.

BUT: I can no longer get to the admin console. 192.168.0.1 just times out, as does 192.168.100.1.

Tried the Virgin Media Service Status check, but that doesn't work for Hub 4 yet.

Any ideas?

23 REPLIES 23

@martin_skipsey wrote:

Tenda Mesh is set up system defaults.

Address space seems to be: 192.168.5.1/255.255.255.0

Gateway Tenda box is 192.168.5.1, and all the other devices attached via Tenda Wifi have 192.168.5.x addresses.

The Tenda device is set to DHCP (I think this is correct given the Virgin Box is in Modem Mode). There are no other settings you can make through the Tenda App for DHCP.

I tried connecting a laptop to the Virgin Media box direct, but it wouldn't connect. I'd need to do some research on how to manually allocate an IP address to test that properly.

Then your devices (and whole LAN beyond the Hub) appear to be on a different subnet to the hub.

If the laptop is running windows go into the Ethernet adaptor settings and change them (the IPv4 part) so that you have assigned an IP address manually - say 192.168.100.5 and you will likely be able to reach the hub management page.

there must be loads of websites detailing how to do such.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

@g0akc wrote:

@martin_skipsey wrote:

T

I tried connecting a laptop to the Virgin Media box direct, but it wouldn't connect. I'd need to do some research on how to manually allocate an IP address to test that properly.

there must be loads of websites detailing how to do such.

Here is one such website - it shows how to assign a static (manual) IP address under Win10 - at the command line or in the control panel, which I suggest you use (there are various ways to reach the control panel).

How to set a static IP address on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech

Don't forget to put it back to 'normal' when you're done

Once you've got your laptop using such an address, try it again....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks - my wife is working now - so will try that this evening.

Thanks to everyone - really appreciate the support and advice - I'll come back once I've tried this step, and will update later tonight!

NB/ Had identical setup with Hub 3 and there was never an issue connecting to the console, so this seems to be a new "feature" of the Hub 4.

@martin_skipsey wrote:
NB/ Had identical setup with Hub 3 and there was never an issue connecting to the console, so this seems to be a new "feature" of the Hub 4.

Noted - well, we might still be barking up the wrong tree....   So see how you get on with the direct Ethernet connection and let us know

Ok - so done some reading up and found some things out. 

1) if I plug my laptop in by Ethernet cable and reboot the Hub, eventually it connects. Apparently you can’t swap one device for another on the Ethernet cable - you have to reboot the Hub every time. 

I can then access the console on 192.168.100.1  

2) this time I noticed a little information icon next to Modem Mode option which says:

“To log back in you will need to connect a device by Ethernet cable to Hub 4. Then use the device to open a browser...”

So it seems like there may be an issue with connecting to the admin console via a router plugged into Hub 4 in modem mode. 

If anyone else has Hub 4 in Modem Mode and can see their Console screen via that router it would be good to know if it is just a Tenda compatibility issue, or a general one. 

I have an ASUS router and can access the hubs admin page fine. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

• I believe the reboot sequence can be critical
  • It seems to be a 'routing issue' - your devices are on a different subnet, so there shouldn't be a clash.  A device on, say, 192.168.5.xx cannot talk to 192.168.100.1 on a /24 network - apart from using NAT, which the Tenda should be doing (allowing traffic to 192.168.100.1 to traverse and exit via its WAN port).
  • As far as I know there's no 'double NAT' with the Hub 4 or Hub 3, but the Hub 4 should be listening for traffic destined for 192.168.100.1 and doing a loopback or trigger to respond to it.
  • You can reach the UI from a laptop direct, but not via the Tenda - got to be a routing issue?
  • There are loads of threads online about this topic with various brands of modem and router - common issue....
  • To investigate further I would 'sniff packets' between the hub and the Tenda and see if the requests are being offered to the Hub4 modem - I normally use a small managed switch with a mirror port and a laptop running Wireshark - if you have a small networking hub that can also be used - wired between the Hub 4 and Tenda something to look at if you can be bothered/educational reasons. The 'toolkit' is a laptop with Wireshark installed, a small switch or networking hub with mirror port and three Ethernet cables - the laptop connects to the mirror port so it should see all the traffic on the other ports.  I usually disable the IPv4 (and IPv6) on the Ethernet adpator so I don't get traffic from the laptop itself and it just listens.  Then another device (client on the LAN to generate the traffic.

I'm not sure why the Hub4 behaviour is apparently different to the Hub3 - the boot sequence you used?  Try booting and plugging in in a different sequence. You could also try disconnecting the Hub 4 WAN side (Virgin signal cable) to see if it responds via the Tenda then.

Is the WAN side IP address displayed in the Tenda?  Any settings to change for the WAN side?

You have a workaround anyway - connect laptop direct when necessary

Sadly the detailed post I wrote earlier has disappeared for some reason.....   Here's a summary;

• The fact that you can reach the UI when connected directly to the hub 4 implies this is a routing issue.
  • The boot up sequence can be critical - try a a different sequence of powering things up and connecting them
  • Try reaching the UI at 192.168.100.1 with the WAN disconnected from the Hub 4- the Virgin signal cable removed
  • Your LAN side clients and the Tenda UI are on a different subnet, so there's no clash apparently.
  • Presumably there's no 'double NAT' 
  • A host (client) at say 192.168.5.xx cannot reach 192.168.100.1 on a /24 network - so NAT is being used - that is what your Tenda should be doing, and allowing the traffic to pass to the Hub 4 via its WAN port.  The Hub 4 modem should then be listening for that IP address (192.168.100.1) and using a loopback or trigger for you to access the UI
  • I don't know what this wasn't an issue with the Hub 3 - different boot sequence?  Different behaviour on the hubs?
  • To investigate this further I would sniff packets on the link between the Hub 4 and Tenda - I use a small switch with a mirror port, 3 Ethernet cables and a laptop running Wireshark for this - with the IPv4 and IPv6 turned off on the network adaptor so I don't get traffic from the laptop itself (it just listens passively). A small networking hub can also be used. I'd then look to see if traffic to 192.168.100.1 was being offered to the Hub 4 from another device on the LAN side of the Tenda - it depends how far you want to go, skill level and education interest.
  • You've got a workaround for access to the hub 4 UI by using the direct laptop connection if necessary anyway, even if it's inconvenient.

My replies on this topic seem to get removed so I won't bother adding anything else