cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 - Modem Mode Issues (Asus RT-AC86U)

Daani350
Tuning in

Hi All, 

I would really appreciate some support here, I have been pulling my hair out the last two days with not being able to get this to work. I purchased Asus RT-AC86U as I am having issues when gaming, mainly high buffer bloating which is causing packet burst in game and making it lag and stutter. 

After doing a lot of reading I decided to go with this, no matter what I do I just can't get it to connect to the internet, I have done the following:

• Put the VM Hub 4 in modem mode via 192.168.0.1
  • Let it restart and then turn it off
  • I have followed the setup wizard on the ASUS router and made sure it is set to automatic ISP (which I am guessing is DHCP as there is no physical option for setting DHCP. 
  • I have followed the steps about removing all ethernet cables from the Hub 4 and powering it off and power it back on give it 5 mins, then turn on the router and do the same and then connect the ethernet cable on the last port for the hub 4.
  • I have also turned on the router first and let it power up and then turn on the Hub 4 and put the ethernet cable into the hub a minute or so after it is powered up.

All I get on the Asus back end software ''ISP's DHCP did not function Properly''.

I know the router is not faulty as yesterday I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk and I had the same issue with that, after spending nearly 2 hours on the phone with Netgear I returned the item assuming it might just be faulty.

Any help in getting this sorted would be amazing. Thanks in advance. 

27 REPLIES 27

No 

I have turned on modem mode but I am still able to pick up my hub 4 WiFi signal even though I can’t connect to the internet. I have then connected the ASUS router to the 4th Ethernet port although I have tried the first. 

below are my wan settings. 

https://ibb.co/GQ3nmNh 

image attached 

@Daani350 wrote:

No 

I have turned on modem mode but I am still able to pick up my hub 4 WiFi signal even though I can’t connect to the internet. I have then connected the ASUS router to the 4th Ethernet port although I have tried the first. 

below are my wan settings. 

Thats not right, with the hub in modem mode the WiFi is turned off. Could be you have a faulty hub.

Do I maybe need to try to put it into modem mode wired? Even though when I log into the hub setting it shows it as modem mode

@Daani350 wrote:

https://ibb.co/GQ3nmNh 

image attached 

Your Asus settings look ok, i suspect the hub has an issue.

@Daani350 wrote:

Do I maybe need to try to put it into modem mode wired? Even though when I log into the hub setting it shows it as modem mode

Worth a try.

Will give this a go in the morning. I have tried to hard reset my hub a number times and put it in modem mode even though it shows it’s in modem mode I can pick up the network WiFi in my search 

As already stated the hub shouldn’t be broadcasting Wifi in modem mode. 

I had to do several pinhole resets on mine to get it to function “correctly”. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi