cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 - Modem Mode Issues (Asus RT-AC86U)

Daani350
Tuning in

Hi All, 

I would really appreciate some support here, I have been pulling my hair out the last two days with not being able to get this to work. I purchased Asus RT-AC86U as I am having issues when gaming, mainly high buffer bloating which is causing packet burst in game and making it lag and stutter. 

After doing a lot of reading I decided to go with this, no matter what I do I just can't get it to connect to the internet, I have done the following:

• Put the VM Hub 4 in modem mode via 192.168.0.1
  • Let it restart and then turn it off
  • I have followed the setup wizard on the ASUS router and made sure it is set to automatic ISP (which I am guessing is DHCP as there is no physical option for setting DHCP. 
  • I have followed the steps about removing all ethernet cables from the Hub 4 and powering it off and power it back on give it 5 mins, then turn on the router and do the same and then connect the ethernet cable on the last port for the hub 4.
  • I have also turned on the router first and let it power up and then turn on the Hub 4 and put the ethernet cable into the hub a minute or so after it is powered up.

All I get on the Asus back end software ''ISP's DHCP did not function Properly''.

I know the router is not faulty as yesterday I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk and I had the same issue with that, after spending nearly 2 hours on the phone with Netgear I returned the item assuming it might just be faulty.

Any help in getting this sorted would be amazing. Thanks in advance. 

27 REPLIES 27

Just do the pinhole reset and you should be fine.

Allow it time to boot after.

Then login to the admin page and change it to modem mode. Let it reboot itself but don’t manually reboot it yourself after.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

@Daani350 wrote:

Just reading some other posts I think what might be broadcasting the signal are the pods I received from VM. But would they still be able to let me get access to the Hub 4 via wifi if it is correctly in modem mode? 

The pods will stop working when in modem mode as they won’t work with the ASUS.

They could be stuck broadcasting the hubs old SSID so turn them off just to be sure. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Thanks, I was reading and some of your posts state reset the router and setup the router with a pc or laptop, is it ok to do this wirelessly as mentioned before I don't have a laptop and my gaming pc is upstairs. 

@Daani350 wrote:

Thanks, I was reading and some of your posts state reset the router and setup the router with a pc or laptop, is it ok to do this wirelessly as mentioned before I don't have a laptop and my gaming pc is upstairs. 

Yes login to the admin page via Wifi is ok

Just an update I turned off both pods I have and left the Hub 4 on and put the pin the back for 60 seconds. Logged back and changed it to modem mode, let it reset and do its thing but it is still signalling the WiFi and letting me connect to it. Can’t access the internet but I can’t still see the network and connect to it. 

On your Asus router do you have an entry in WAN settings / Special Requirements from ISP / MAC Address. If not press the MAC Clone button and apply the setting. The MAC clone will randomly add a MAC from one of you attached devices, I believe VM needs to see a unique and valid MAC address, it did for me on my Asus router.

Hi

i have tried this also, but nothing still no internet 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect only a PC to the hub by long cable and change to modem mode get that working.

---------------------------------------------------------------

So you have put the VM hub into modem mode, connected the Asus routers WAN to ethernet port 1 on the VM hub and powered on the hub first and then a few minutes later powered on the Asus router?

Can you post a photo of your Asus WAN settings?

Do you think that is the reason modem mode is not working correctly as I’m doing it via WiFi?