cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 - Modem Mode Issues (Asus RT-AC86U)

Daani350
Tuning in

Hi All, 

I would really appreciate some support here, I have been pulling my hair out the last two days with not being able to get this to work. I purchased Asus RT-AC86U as I am having issues when gaming, mainly high buffer bloating which is causing packet burst in game and making it lag and stutter. 

After doing a lot of reading I decided to go with this, no matter what I do I just can't get it to connect to the internet, I have done the following:

• Put the VM Hub 4 in modem mode via 192.168.0.1
  • Let it restart and then turn it off
  • I have followed the setup wizard on the ASUS router and made sure it is set to automatic ISP (which I am guessing is DHCP as there is no physical option for setting DHCP. 
  • I have followed the steps about removing all ethernet cables from the Hub 4 and powering it off and power it back on give it 5 mins, then turn on the router and do the same and then connect the ethernet cable on the last port for the hub 4.
  • I have also turned on the router first and let it power up and then turn on the Hub 4 and put the ethernet cable into the hub a minute or so after it is powered up.

All I get on the Asus back end software ''ISP's DHCP did not function Properly''.

I know the router is not faulty as yesterday I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk and I had the same issue with that, after spending nearly 2 hours on the phone with Netgear I returned the item assuming it might just be faulty.

Any help in getting this sorted would be amazing. Thanks in advance. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

So you have put the VM hub into modem mode, connected the Asus routers WAN to ethernet port 1 on the VM hub and powered on the hub first and then a few minutes later powered on the Asus router?

Can you post a photo of your Asus WAN settings?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

@Daani350 wrote:

No 

I have turned on modem mode but I am still able to pick up my hub 4 WiFi signal even though I can’t connect to the internet. I have then connected the ASUS router to the 4th Ethernet port although I have tried the first. 

below are my wan settings. 

Thats not right, with the hub in modem mode the WiFi is turned off. Could be you have a faulty hub.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Which port are you using on the hub4?

It shouldn’t matter but try with the bottom port. 

Also make sure you’re connecting to the WAN port on the ASUS and not one of the Ethernet LAN ports. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi, 

Thanks, I am using the bottom one, I have tried the top also. I am correctly plugging it into the WAN port on the Asus router also. 

Are you sure the hub is in modem mode?

Can you connect a laptop to the hub and check that

a. You get an internet connection 

b. The hub is indeed in Modem Mode

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

I don't have a laptop and only my pc which is upstairs, I log back in and it clearly showed modem mode (though I could still pick up the wifi from my hub 4 but not connect to the internet). 

The Hub4 Wifi was still broadcasting?

It can’t be in modem mode properly then.

Do a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub then put it into Modem Mode straight away and try again. 

If it is in modem mode should it not broadcast a wifi signal at all? I will give that a go shortly. 

@Daani350 wrote:

If it is in modem mode should it not broadcast a wifi signal at all? I will give that a go shortly. 

No. Because it should just be a modem only not doing any routing or Wifi.

Mine did this before in the past and a factory reset fixed it (actually had to do it 2 or 3 times in a row).

Thanks, fingers crossed will do this once the kids go to bed shortly as no wifi most the day today has been a hard pill to swallow. I will update shortly, I am guessing the only way to be able to get back out of Modem mode via wifi correctly should require a hard reset? As I have been able to do it via wifi as the signal has been broadcasting.

Thank you for the prompt responses I really do appreciate it. 

Just reading some other posts I think what might be broadcasting the signal are the pods I received from VM. But would they still be able to let me get access to the Hub 4 via wifi if it is correctly in modem mode?