cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Losing new SSID and Password on re-boot

2oldtorocknroll
Tuning in

I have upgraded to the 1Gig service and installed the Hub 4 today. I immediately changed the SSID and Password. On re-boot soft or hard the SSID and Password change back to default. Strangely some of my wireless devices still work so I surmise that the change is only happening on 2.4ghz range as sky q can't see the network and that operates at this range. I have no problem with my iPhone which is compatible with 5ghz. Is there an advanced router setting that I'm overlooking?

13 REPLIES 13

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @lobsters15,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! You can definitely keep your passwords default if this issue keeps happening. If you'd like us to investigate, please let us know, so we can help.

Is there anything we can assist you with today? We're happy to help. 🙂

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

not sure whats to investigate - this bug has been around on the hub 4 since it was released afaik - the default passwords should be as secure as any you set - its printed on the hub so if thats a problem remove the label but keep it safe

the other alternative is the hub in modem mode and use your own router or mesh system - wifi will be streets ahead anything the hub provides - but theres an obvious on cost and if you have pods they will not work

Tony.
Sacked VIP

lobsters15
On our wavelength

My hub4 is behaving itself and it has not defaulted to the Virgin password and SSID again. What I do notice is that the WiFi from the hub4 is considerably better than that of the Hub3 ( downloads and uploads as measured by Ookla)

@-tony- wrote:

not sure whats to investigate - this bug has been around on the hub 4 since it was released afaik - the default passwords should be as secure as any you set - its printed on the hub so if thats a problem remove the label but keep it safe

If I were to drive by, de-auth a device from your Wi-Fi network, capture a 3 way handshake as the device reconnects as well as a GPS location of where that handshake was captured, I can go home and then start trying to brute force the password. If I already know what format the password is (set length, alpha numeric) I'm off to a head start.

Granted, it is going to take a while, put the people who do this aren't in any rush. They will harvest plenty of 3 way handshakes, they know they will get some low hanging fruit.

The good news here, at least, is that that Hub 5 default password at 16 characters is at least going to take some time to guess. I'm not sure how long the default password is on the Hub 4?

Anyway, always good practice to change passwords rather than accept default ones. VM need to fix this problem.