cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 - Losing connection

farhanAli20
Dialled in

Hello everyone, I hope you are well.

So since last Thursday, I've been having issues with my broadband services both WiFi & Wired; devices are randomly losing connection. At times the WiFi network name reverts back to default which I've changed multiple times via hub manager yet still someway the default settings just revert back.

Today, I had an engineer who said apparently I have too many devices connected. I have around 6-8 WiFi devices along with 5-8 Wired devices but not all are being used at the same time. My point was I've had this setup for easily 5+ years. But the engineer wasn't having it, "Virgin media only guarantees connection of up to 7 devices" were his exact words. 

Someone, please advise what I should do? According to the engineer, everything is fine... 😞

23 REPLIES 23

farhanAli20
Dialled in
Sorry I forgot to mention my BB package : Gigabit Broadband

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tens of devices maybe but a supposed maximum of seven is a new one on me. I can't find any suggestion of it in the new or old Ts and Cs or in the VM wifi guide. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check for local issues on 0800 561 0061 and try a 30 second pinhole reset of the hub.

A previous thread suggests a need for a replacement hub https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-keeps-resetting-wi-fi-defaults/td-p/4...

@Cardiffman281. Thanks for your reply.

I tried searching around about engineers comment but had no luck. I just don't understand,  there wqs clearly fault with BB connection but VM not doing anything to fix it.

Everyone working from home , soo much stress and frustration just feels like engineer just brushed me away, spent less than 10 minutes in the house...

The post you linked thats the EXACT issue I'm currently experiencing with my hub 4!

I've tried the factory reset multiple times yet still my fault has NOT been resolved...

Anonymous
Not applicable

The VM forum team will get to you soon. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What was being reported on the 0800 number?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Also - despite the Tech saying all was fine - can we take a look at the connection details - can you do this...

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up login and then Navigate to these “pages below” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here...

...2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

Also If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.