cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Link Aggregation

fatalexception
Superfast

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can help with access to any Hub4 changelogs.

I was successfully running  my HUB4 in modem mode with link aggregation (round robin) using Pfsense for quite some time but my speeds have been intermittently terrible recently. After lots of troubleshooting I couldn't find any issues apart from the packet loss so arranged an engineer visit.

A suspect coax cable was replaced and an attenuator removed but the speeds were still awful. Final step was to disable aggregation and voila the connection started behaving itself.

The issues seemed to co-inside with when the router got a new glowing light colour. Can anyone confirm if the functionality has been removed??

6 REPLIES 6

carl_pearce
Community elder

@fatalexception wrote:

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can help with access to any Hub4 changelogs.

I was successfully running  my HUB4 in modem mode with link aggregation (round robin) using Pfsense for quite some time but my speeds have been intermittently terrible recently. After lots of troubleshooting I couldn't find any issues apart from the packet loss so arranged an engineer visit.

A suspect coax cable was replaced and an attenuator removed but the speeds were still awful. Final step was to disable aggregation and voila the connection started behaving itself.

The issues seemed to co-inside with when the router got a new glowing light colour. Can anyone confirm if the functionality has been removed??

They've released a new firmware that 'breaks' Link Aggregation.

The green LED to indicate modem mode is a new 'feature' to match the colour coding to the HUB 5 when it is in modem mode.

Since VM didn't officially support it in the first place it's highly unlikely it will be fixed.

Thank you Carl

Just found the servethehome forum posts.

Pity really. I had a 5 and sent it back because at the time it was so unstable, hopefully its improved.

Any chance one of the moderators can chip in with an official response??

I would be more than willing to give up a dreadful neon green light for a better network connection.

Sadly my home server has 4 x 10GB ethernet ports that wont negotiate down to 2.5GB and 1 x SFP+ port thats used to connect the switch.

I guess I'll have to take to ebay this afternoon to try and find a 2.5gb NIC

@fatalexception wrote:

How can they make a official response for something that was not officially supported.😏

---------------------------------------------------------------

@fatalexception wrote:

Thank you Carl

Just found the servethehome forum posts.

Pity really. I had a 5 and sent it back because at the time it was so unstable, hopefully its improved.

I would be more than willing to give up a dreadful neon green light for a better network connection.

Sadly my home server has 4 x 10GB ethernet ports that wont negotiate down to 2.5GB and 1 x SFP+ port thats used to connect the switch.

I guess I'll have to take to ebay this afternoon to try and find a 2.5gb NIC

You'll need a HUB 5 first as the 4 doesn't have a 2.5gb NIC.

Got one ordered, had to get past the lady trying to hard sell an O2 sim for nearly 30 mins; she eventually transferred me through to a helpful chap who got it sorted. I have a 2.5g Intel nic ordered from AliExpress so will be all sorted in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the update and glad to hear this was resolved following the call. If you need us again in the future please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Rob