cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4: Lenovo Laptops connect to Guest WiFi but not to the main WiFi

VKarp
Tuning in

I have 2 Lenovo laptops (T440 and L460). Both can connect normally to Virgin Hub 4 via Guest WiFi network, but can't get internet via the main network.

Via the main network laptops receive the IP address from DHCP and are visible from the Hub 4's list of connected devices, but still don't have access to internet, as if Hub's firewall was somehow blocking it.

Laptop had firewalls and antiviruses disabled/uninstalled, drivers updated, network settings erased  - and generally work with no issues with the guest network.

Notably more recent T480 laptop does not have this connectivity issue. There seem to be something between the older Intel Wi-Fi adapters and Hub 4 main network firewall (once again, guest network works normally).

From discussions online it appears that the problem is not uncommon, but there seem to be no clear advise rather than buying a separate wi-fi router and using Hub 4 in modem mode.

Any better solution? Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I've had many Lenovo laptops here, never a problem but always with my own router. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your comments. The suggestion to split 2.4HGz and 5HGz channels is not a solution.

I forgot to mention, that I am also using an additional Wi-Fi router, connected to Hub 4 via Ethernet: the laptops connect to Wi-Fi with no issues, and are visible in the list of connected devices on the Hub 4 (just to note, when the additional Wi-Fi router is disabled and the connection goes directly through the Hub 4, the problem remains). The problem is definitely in the Hub 4, which blocks Lenovo devices for whatever reason.

Also the Guest network on Hub 4 with "smart" wifi 2.4 & 5GZh in one SSID works fine.

I think it is time Virgin addressed this issue with their hubs.

Hi VKarp, 

Thank you for posting on our community forum. Sorry to see you are having issues connecting certain devices to the internet. If you can clarify for us does the problem remain when in both modem mode, using your third party hub and in router mode? If you can switch to router mode for now as we can't troubleshoot third party equipment and we can run further diagnostics when you are in router mode. 
Have you always had this issue when trying to connect your laptops? 
Please can you reboot your hub and let us know what happens? 

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I've had many Lenovo laptops here, never a problem but always with my own router. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

VKarp
Tuning in

Solved: 

I disabled TCP / IP v6 protocol on in the Wi-Fi Network Connection settings on Lenovo T440 and Lenovo T460.

For some reason, Wi-Fi drivers or Windows 10 prioritised TCP/IP v6 when trying to reach to DNS server, while the TCP/IP v6 protocol was switched off in the router settings by default.