cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Gig1 - lag / packet loss

rossmichael
On our wavelength

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to Gig1 and my Hub 3 was replaced with a Hub 4. I have a wifi mesh pod that was provided by VM which I was using with my Hub 3 and now the Hub 4.

Prior to the upgrade (with the hub 3 and wifi pod) my gaming experience was fine, no lag, no packet loss but since the upgrade I am having all kinds of trouble. The Hub 4 and wifi pod are in the same location as they when using the Hub 3.

I can tell that the Hub 4 has a stronger signal than the 3 because with it alone I can get wifi in places I couldn't with just the Hub 3, so it should be connecting with the mesh pod just as well, if not better, right? I've also used a wifi analyser and signal at the location of the pod is pretty good at -55dBm.

My PC connects to the wifi pod, has full signal quality in Windows 10 with 866.7Mbps connection and RSSI which sits steady at -51 dBm, connected at 5Ghz. 

When gaming I get a decent ping, usually around 15-25ms but I keep experiencing spikes where the game will freeze and then catch up (Age of Empires). I've tried other games and they show red X for a second or two and/or packet loss (Fortnites)... and similar messages in other games.

Any idea what could be causing this? It was totally fine with the Hub 3 for months but now this frustrating issue happens between every few minutes or sometimes I might get 10-15 mins between occurences.

On the PC I'm currently getting speeds around 250Mbps download and 50Mbps up. It has been as high as 550Mbps and I think it'll get there again if I leave the pod to settle for a day or so. Even when operating at that speed, I get the lag issues.

Sam Knows test shows the router getting a good 1149Mbps.

I'm not sure what to do, I've tried moving the router, so that it isn't obstructed or near anything electrical and so that it is facing as direct as possible to the wifi pod. I have ve also tried facing it in different positions, moving it as much as I can, same with the location of the pod. I have even tried a tripple plug adapter to change the direction the pod faces, no matter what I do I get the spikes/lag which makes me feel like the issue is with the Hub 4.

I should mentioned that my wifi signal on the PC does not disconnect at all and remains full. 

I tried to manually change the channel on the hub in case of interference but by doing that the wifi pod does not connect because it requires Smart Wifi to be enabled.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

49 REPLIES 49

My complaint case is closed and I've not had any contact after the holding letter.... just another thing to add to the list of failures. 

07/02/2022

Your issue's with a member of our team

We'll be in touch with next steps soon.

07/02/2022

We're looking into your issue

You'll hear from us soon.

07/02/2022

We're working on a solution to your issue

We'll be in touch soon.

07/02/2022

We're looking into your issue

You'll hear from us soon.

07/02/2022

We're working on a solution to your issue

We'll be in touch soon.

07/03/2022

We've solved and closed your issue

We haven't heard from you since we offered a solution, so we've assumed you're happy with it.

-----------------------

What solution was offered and where/who was it offered to?

It's clear that you haven't understood what I am saying. I don't need an engineer, I don't need replacement equipment (because that will be exactly the same). 

I have ALREADY had an engineer and that engineer told me very clearly that he agreed tha the hub and pods do not work together for gaming... 

That's the problem, no amount of diagnostics will be able to fix it, just someone who is able to venture outside of the standard script and offer an actual customer satisfying solution, instead of the constant time wasting nonsense that I am in a loop of. 

We don't need to do the diagnostics again, we've already done those tests several times. We don't need an engineer because the engineer has said everything is fine, fine levels, fine cables, equipment functioning to the best of its ability. The issue is that the the best of the hubs ability isn't good enough, it's a design fault, to do with the Intel Puma 7 chipset which is widely documented all over the internet as faulty.

I will not be putting my hub back to modem mode because all of those results HAVE ALREADY BEEN PROVIDED MULTIPLE TIMES.  You have all of the information you need in the two threads I have on these forums.   50+ posts I have had to make, believe me, it's all there and I'm not giving it to you again. 

It's now over to Virgin Media to actually do something instead of pointless words on a page.

Let's add insult to injury, I call customer services, they couldn't help so put me through to the cancellation team... The cancellation team answer after 10 minute hold and the person clearly had me on mute. I kept talking to them and said I would wait for them to take me off mute, I then said "I will wait all day" and as soon as I said that they cut me off.     This is a disgrace.  So I now have to call again,  go through the pain of explaining this whole joke once more and I'll likely get cut off again. This is the 2nd time I have been put through the cancellations and both times it has resulted in me being cut off.

I call again and guess what...... cut off again. This is going really well. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @rossmichael,

Thank you for coming back to me. I'm very sorry that you've not had a good customer journey with us and I appreciate that our call queues can be frustrating, but I can assure you that our team did not disconnect your call on purpose. I do apologise that you've had a negative experience. I'll be more than happy to discuss this further with you via Private Message. 

We'll be able to go over your options and see how we can resolve this issue together. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@rossmichael wrote:

If everything is working nicely in modem mode then the connection is clearly ok.

I have done the tests multiple times previously and posted the results. I have also had a technician visit who agreed that the problem is the Hub4 + pods, yet nothing was done about it.

Just so you know pods don't work in modem mode

Its a pain that VM wants router mode to do TESTS by some backdoor port in router mode that can't be done in modem mode on 10. safely but just go with it I know one day I will have too.😔

---------------------------------------------------------------

Oh I know they don't work in modem mode but they also work terribly in router mode with the Hub 4. The problem isn't the pods though, they work quite well with the Hub 3, it's the Hub 4 not being able to route traffic which gets amplified when pods are in the mix, it just can't do it but getting someone at Virgin to listen is proving quite a challenge.  I guess most people won't notice it because they are just using internet browsers but put something that is ping/lag sensitive and you end up in a world of pain, not great from an internet package which claims to be for gamers and says "nothing will get in your way" - lies. If you're using that to sell your package then I'm afraid (Virgin Media) that you have to honour it. 

"All our gamer broadband speeds comes with unlimited downloads and absolutely no traffic management. So nothing will get in the way of your winning streak." - Apart from your terrible Hub 4 and WiFi pods.  Switch to modem mode and a decent router and all of a sudden everything magically starts working.

@rossmichael wrote:

Apart from your terrible Hub 4 and WiFi pods.  Switch to modem mode and a decent router and all of a sudden everything magically starts working.

Well not if the docsis is a problem 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @rossmichael
Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your ongoing broadband connection issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Just to be clear, I'm not the one asking for the technician,  so there won't be any charge of any sort for any reason.  The Tech won't be able to fix the problem anyway but the cheek of telling me there might be a charge for something you're insisting on doing when I've said it isn't necessary and will be a waste of time.