cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4.0 reboot bug - resets custom 2.4ghz SSID/security values when channel optimisation is enabled

movisman
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have discovered a bug with the Hub 4.0. Mine is running the most 'up to date' firmware as of 24/03/21 (01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20).

The bug resets any custom 2.4ghz SSID / Password back to VM defaults when the device is rebooted for any reason.

I have reported this to CS and apparently it is being passed to the team who works on the Hub 4.0 firmware to fix in a future release, however I wanted to post something here in case it helps other users who might run into this issue.

Things to note / prerequisites:
- This will only affect people who use their own SSID name and password rather than the VM default. It will also occur regardless if you run a single SSID or if you have them split. If you use the default VM SSID and Password on the bottom of the hub, this bug will not affect you.
- In addition to the above, this bug will only occur if you have "Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal > Smart WiFi 'Channel Optimisation'" enabled (enabled is the default).

So what happens?

Well, if like me, you have a custom SSID and password set on your Hub 4.0 and at any point you reboot your router (or VM reboots it for you to update itself or otherwise - which was the case for me....random 6am reboot), you will find that your 2.4ghz SSID and password settings are reset to their default values (so the 2.4ghz SSID will change back to VMxxxxxxxx, and the password will be set to what is on the bottom of the hub).

5ghz is unaffected and should continue to work.

As a result of 2.4ghz values being reset, it means anything you previously had running on 2.4ghz will no longer be able to connect.

If you go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security, you can correct the settings, save the changes, and the devices should reconnect.

However, if you reboot the router again for any reason, these settings are reset once again. For reference, these settings are the ones which are reset:

security_settings.PNG

This can be replicated every time, with 100% reliability.

Factory resetting the router does nothing to fix this, in case anyone is curious.

So what's the fix?

Well, fortunately the workaround is quite easy.

Go to "Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal" and DISABLE Smart WiFi 'Channel Optimisation'.

smart_wifi.PNG

Save the changes.

Now, if you reboot your Hub 4.0, the custom SSID and password you had set for the 2.4ghz network is retained.

TLDR - Leave this option DISABLED if you use an SSID and password different to the defaults. If you re-enable channel optimisation, expect your custom 2.4ghz settings to reset to default on the next reboot, dropping your 2.4ghz devices off the network until corrected.

Virgin Media need to get this fixed with a future firmware upgrade. This is obviously an implementation issue with the 'Smart Wifi' channel optimisation option. I spent a while testing this and over an hour on the phone to get this logged with CS.

Anyway, I hope this helps some other users who may run into this issue.

@Forum team, although CS should have passed this on already, can you ensure this thread is passed to the firmware developers for the Hub 4.0, just in case they need more detailed information.

Thanks!

38 REPLIES 38

Hi @MXO, thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear you appear to be having the issue of the above thread. I have had a look into your account and our systems are picking up some power level issues that may also be causing you some problems. I would advise we send you a technician so we can look into this for you. I will send you a PM to confirm some information regarding the appointment, if you can have a look in your PM inbox, we will get someone sent out to you asap. 

All the best, Molly. 

Molly

Rabangus
Dialled in

Same problem as everyone else - 2.4ghz channel SSID & password reset to default after restart. Isn't is disgusting that after a year Virgin still haven't fixed this bug?  Might have to use this as a reason to demand a Hub 5 instead (on the off chance that it might be any better!)

Quick reply since there seems to be no option to edit -

I tried the workaround and it didn't work - I ticked 'Disable Channel Optimization' and did a restart and my SSID and password still got reset to default.

However, like some others I tried again and it did work second time. I think it might be something to do with the order in which the settings are changed - I suspect you need to tick and save 'Disable Channel Optimization' first, and then change the SSID and password. That's what I did second time anyway.

I'm on 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20 btw.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies for the issues Rabangus,

I'm glad to see the workaround has worked for you the second time.

Our team are still working to resolve this issue for all of our customers.

Thanks for your patience,

Kain

EddieOna
Joining in

I think I found a workaround for this which enables me to have my preferred 2.4GHz SSID to be the same as my preferred 5GHz SSID with the channel optimization enabled. What I did was in this order:

Disable channel optimization (Advanced settings, Wireless, Wireless signal, select the option to 'Disable channel optimization'), Apply changes.
change the SSID to my preferred SSID (Advanced settings, Wireless, Security, change the SSID and wireless password to my preferred settings), Apply changes.
Reboot the router (I physically rebooted it).
Enable channel optimization (Advanced settings, Wireless, Wireless signal, select the option to 'Enable channel optimization'), Apply changes.
Reboot the router (I physically rebooted it).

The above appears to have worked for me as I have rebooted the router 3 times so far and it has kept the same preferred SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Thanks EddieOna! That's actually worked for me too!

Just called and spoke to tech support about this issue and I don’t think I’ve ever encountered such a belligerent response.

Essentially their fix is to not change the SSID from the default. They have no idea when it will be fixed and we’re unable to offer any solution or alternative. 

I’ve tried the approach suggested by EddieOna above and it seems to have worked. After a reboot it’s retained the custom SSID and password for the 2.4ghz network and the smart scan feature is enabled. 

IhateVM3
On our wavelength

bug still persists for me in April new hub 4 installed after the upstream/downstream power levels were considered to be off. I see earlier in thread a mod detected bad power levels in someone else’s wifi, is this the cause for this issue? Have I got bad power levels again.