cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4.0 reboot bug - resets custom 2.4ghz SSID/security values when channel optimisation is enabled

movisman
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have discovered a bug with the Hub 4.0. Mine is running the most 'up to date' firmware as of 24/03/21 (01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20).

The bug resets any custom 2.4ghz SSID / Password back to VM defaults when the device is rebooted for any reason.

I have reported this to CS and apparently it is being passed to the team who works on the Hub 4.0 firmware to fix in a future release, however I wanted to post something here in case it helps other users who might run into this issue.

Things to note / prerequisites:
- This will only affect people who use their own SSID name and password rather than the VM default. It will also occur regardless if you run a single SSID or if you have them split. If you use the default VM SSID and Password on the bottom of the hub, this bug will not affect you.
- In addition to the above, this bug will only occur if you have "Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal > Smart WiFi 'Channel Optimisation'" enabled (enabled is the default).

So what happens?

Well, if like me, you have a custom SSID and password set on your Hub 4.0 and at any point you reboot your router (or VM reboots it for you to update itself or otherwise - which was the case for me....random 6am reboot), you will find that your 2.4ghz SSID and password settings are reset to their default values (so the 2.4ghz SSID will change back to VMxxxxxxxx, and the password will be set to what is on the bottom of the hub).

5ghz is unaffected and should continue to work.

As a result of 2.4ghz values being reset, it means anything you previously had running on 2.4ghz will no longer be able to connect.

If you go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security, you can correct the settings, save the changes, and the devices should reconnect.

However, if you reboot the router again for any reason, these settings are reset once again. For reference, these settings are the ones which are reset:

security_settings.PNG

This can be replicated every time, with 100% reliability.

Factory resetting the router does nothing to fix this, in case anyone is curious.

So what's the fix?

Well, fortunately the workaround is quite easy.

Go to "Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal" and DISABLE Smart WiFi 'Channel Optimisation'.

smart_wifi.PNG

Save the changes.

Now, if you reboot your Hub 4.0, the custom SSID and password you had set for the 2.4ghz network is retained.

TLDR - Leave this option DISABLED if you use an SSID and password different to the defaults. If you re-enable channel optimisation, expect your custom 2.4ghz settings to reset to default on the next reboot, dropping your 2.4ghz devices off the network until corrected.

Virgin Media need to get this fixed with a future firmware upgrade. This is obviously an implementation issue with the 'Smart Wifi' channel optimisation option. I spent a while testing this and over an hour on the phone to get this logged with CS.

Anyway, I hope this helps some other users who may run into this issue.

@Forum team, although CS should have passed this on already, can you ensure this thread is passed to the firmware developers for the Hub 4.0, just in case they need more detailed information.

Thanks!

38 REPLIES 38

MrLeeBee
Tuning in

Bit of a problem here. I followed the guide about a week ago and selected the "Disable Channel Optimisation" option. Today I noticed my internet cut out for about a minute and thought nothing of it. Just tried to use my smart speaker and low and behold, no internet connection. I logged into the hub to find that 2.4ghz had been reset back to defaults again. I checked the Smart WiFi settings and it's still disabled.

Is there anything that I missed, such as doing a hard reset before turning off optimisation?

MrLeeBee
Tuning in

Sorry for conflicting information but I've just manually reset the hub (Smart WiFi still disabled) and this time it didn't reset the 2.4ghz ID/Pass so not sure why it reset earlier.

movisman
On our wavelength

Hmm, that is odd. I was going to suggest you do that first (eg. correct the settings, save, and then reboot to make sure the Hub doesn't reset anything). But you've since already done that and it looks good, or at least it hasn't reset anything yet.

Maybe something to keep an eye on - could well be another mysterious bug with this quality firmware!!! 😉

On another amusing note, for the first time, my 5ghz decided to just 'stop' letting some devices connect - but not all, some continued to work! 2.4ghz was not affected. Could have been DHCP related, but it was late and I forgot to reboot the router, but when I came down in the morning it had resolved itself. I rebooted anyway to cover any potential issues, and it's been fine since. Just another example of the Hub 4.0 having a few 'moments'!

Cheers

Thanks for your post and update, MrLeeBee. Glad to hear @movisman post was able to get your connections sorted.

Cheers,

Corey C

shaun-paul
On our wavelength

Thank you for the fix info. It took out my ring cameras and didn’t want to have to update the SSID on every single device. 

I did install an AP as a backup. But found this fix worked! 🙂 

If you are aware of a firmware upgrade please let us know so I can turn it back on again. Kudos given. 

No worries!

Unfortunately, my Hub 4.0 hasn't had a single firmware upgrade since I reported this problem many months ago. It is a shame, because clearly people are experiencing problems when they use their own SSIDs. Really the team who look after the firmware upgrades should be pushing out a fix by now, as it's quite a fundamental issue.

Can the mods perhaps send some internal communications to the relevant department to find out if a firmware update is on the horizon any time this year?

Thanks

I second that.

VM there’s other threads on this matter and people crying out for an update as it’s causing issues. I was told by the engineer that you was constantly rolling out firmware updates in the early hours to resolve known issues with the Hub 4. It is long overdue. Any update would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for coming back to us @movisman.

I will again pass this onto the team to be looked into further and will come back to you as soon as we have any further updates on this issue.

Regards,

Steven_L

movisman
On our wavelength

No worries, thanks for looking into this.

Keep us posted on any information or updates...

Hi @movisman

I'm so sorry we haven't had an update for this for you yet! I have passed this on to my colleague and as soon as he is back in he will update. 

Thank you.