cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4.0 - password change not accepted

alip
On our wavelength

Hi. Got my new hub 4.0 today after problems with ethernet on Hub 3. All good - or so I thought.

I changed the admin password on startup as requested - and the browser hung (completely). Tried again. Managed to get the new password in. Then changed SSID and password for WiFi.

Bit later tried to log back in to put names to devices (useful to know what's what, especially the 'smart' devices).

The new admin password hadn't been retained - I was back to the factory default. I wasn't asked to change it again, so that much had registered. Changed it again, and this time rebooted hub. Didn't work. Back to original admin password. 😞

Changed in the Admin setting within the hub. Still not accepted.

I can live with it - but it's irritating.

So far, the SSID has reverted once to the factory setting.  I'm hoping that isn't going to be a recurring problem too.

Anyone else had problems getting a new admin/settings password to stick? If so, did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance...

7 REPLIES 7

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello alip,

Thanks for your post. 
Sorry to hear about the issue with your Hub4 not accepting the password change.

Can I please ask if this has settled down now?

If not please let me know and I can look into this for you.

Gareth_L

alip
On our wavelength

Hi.

I did a bit of experimenting.

I changed the password for the WiFi first - on its own, no other changes. That worked. Rebooted - password still there.

Then I tried the settings password again. It reverted again (but at least the WiFi one remained).

Then I tried the settings password changing it to a DIFFERENT new password... and it stayed. There must have been a character (visible or not) in the password I was trying to change to that it didn't like.

All good now.

Hi there @alip 

Thank you so much for popping back to us and we're so glad this is now resolved for you. Thank you for also letting us know the steps you took to correct this, it will be very useful for other users of the forums in the future with similar issues. 

If you ever need any help in the future please do pop back to the forums and we will do all we can to help! 

Thanks again

alip
On our wavelength

I spoke to soon...!

Watching TV the other evening (sorry, lost track of the days but I think it was Saturday), we suddenly lost internet connection. Light on the hub glowing white, but nothing working. Tired, so left it for that night. The next morning, my WiFi network was showing, but when we tried to connect, the message was that connection was denied. So I tried to log on to the hub. Didn't work with my new password - message that it was incorrect. Didn't work with the original password - same message. I knew I wasn't typing incorrectly because I was letting my password manager fill in the details, and that had worked the day before. Long story short, had to reset the hub and set up the passwords again. Now I know the sequence, that bit was quite quick...but I lost all the device names I'd added. 😞

For information, when you change the settings password through the web interface, the message is that the hub needs to reboot. But nothing happens. The web page immediately gives a prompt for entering a password (but the new one won't work). Every time, I've had to manually reboot the hub. It's alright again now, and I don't know what the issue was on Saturday. 

alip
On our wavelength

Meant to say - when I tried to log onto the hub on the Sunday morning, I got the initial welcome screen. Inviting me to select a language and then change my password...

Thanks for coming back to us alip. 

So, just to clarify, are you still having issues again or is it okay now?

If you are still having trouble with it, we may need to replace the Hub for you.

Thanks

Beth

alip
On our wavelength

The password seems to be sticking now. Today was the first day I didn't have to reboot because the WiFi was down. Let's assume resolved. 🙂

Alison