cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4.0 parental controls

DBriquette
Joining in

Hi.

I’ve just joined virgin broadband and had a new Hub 4.0 installed. After hours of trying to set up parental controls it looks like there are none available for this hub.

Has anybody else experienced this? If I can’t control hours online or content watched by my kids then I don’t think I can have broadband access at all.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
correct.
but you can put the hub4 into modem mode and use any router you want with the options and features you need.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
correct.
but you can put the hub4 into modem mode and use any router you want with the options and features you need.

Thanks for your response. Do you know how I would do that? And could I then get it to work with something like this:

TP-Link TL-MR6400

Would the hub 4.0 in modem mode connect wirelessly to this router, or would it require a cable.

Thanks in advance. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
TL-MR6400 is a poor router. its also a 4g router not a cable router

You would have to connect your own router to the hub by a cable
if you like tp-link look at something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Next-Gen-Gigabit-Wireless-1201Mbps/dp/B089YXY2YH/ref=sr_1_17?dchild...

Appreciate this. 

I’ll happily go with any router you suggest, I’m not fixed on TP-Link tbh, would just need the speed/bandwidth and the punch to cover a three story house. This really isn’t my area of expertise!

Would you have any idea how to put the hub into modem mode?

Anonymous
Not applicable
virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

Thanks!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Also investigate Mesh systems. These are more flexible than a stand alone wifi router as additional units can be added as required.

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link (Deco's M4/M5), Linksys (Velop's), Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Get any router you want then use these DNS IP's 1.1.1.3 and 1.0.0.3
https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-1-1-1-1-for-families/
---------------------------------------------------------------

This is all great info, thanks very much everyone.