cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3

Caliman300
Joining in

Hi

Does anybody know how to change the number of CPEs with a Hub3 in modem mode there does not seem to be a UI for this.

Thanks in advance

The reason is I have two routers plugged into the hub but only one connects this used to work on the Hub 2 but the Hub3 only seems to have 1 CPE

7 REPLIES 7

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Correct. Only one works.

You need to connect one router off your main router but set it up in access point mode as you can’t have 2 routers on the same LAN. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi

Thanks for your answer

Well I am not sure about this the setup used to work on a hub 2 with both routers plugged in. I can't see why if they are on different ports with different macs on the routers why the switch in the hub 3 would not route wan traffic to the correct router. Seems to me that they have reduced the "stock" cpe number on the Hub 3 to one ie effectively strapping the internal switch to one device.

@Caliman300 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for your answer

Well I am not sure about this the setup used to work on a hub 2 with both routers plugged in. I can't see why if they are on different ports with different macs on the routers why the switch in the hub 3 would not route wan traffic to the correct router. Seems to me that they have reduced the "stock" cpe number on the Hub 3 to one ie effectively strapping the internal switch to one device.

Because that’s the way modem mode should work. As a modem for a single device. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When in modem mode you can only have one router on your network that is the default gateway, the VM hub is effectively transparent to the network. The default gateway router only sees a WAN address and a LAN address, something like 82.x.x.x and 192.168.0.1. You can have as many as you like routers on the LAN segment, but each will in turn have its own network, router2, 192.168.0.254 its network 192.168.10.1, router3, 192.168.0.253 its network 192.168.20.1, etc. All equipment on these extra segments would have double NAT.

Networking is not simple and it’s very easy to have something that on the surface seems to work, but has many underlying problems. Sick with one router. If you want extra segments investigate VLANs, but that a whole new ballgame.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi

I understand all that no problem but I don't see why this wont work, can you explain the concept of the CPE count in modem mode I think this relates to the number of devices that can get a wan ip assigned by Virgin, my old hub 2 worked fine I had a dd-wrt router configured on it with virtual Lans configured with open vpn so all my iot devices were connected to this rock solid no issues, now it does not work at all, I have heard of people connecting up to ten routers to one modem so I don't think this is unusual or impossible its just a question of virgins dhcp server dishing out an ip (I think) but look I am by no means an expert on networking.

Thanks for you help so far

I brake it to you.

Can VM change the CPE number? Yes

Will VM change the CPE number? No

Has the CPE always been 1? Yes

Why did your setup work before? Because you did not know you was in router mode.

If you have two router doing the same DHCP with the same MAC you can use a VLAN switch setup like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Thanks for this I will try it, however what you say about my previous config is not correct the vIrgin Hub2 was definitely in modem mode I could switch between my routers by connecting to the different SSID , and both routers can be configured and accessed on 192.168.1.1 (obviously not simultaneously) so this is very handy, VM must have allowed more than one CPE device in the past.