Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3, wifi keeps turning on

andrewmm
Fibre optic

I seem unable to turn off the WiFi on the Hub 3,

I can change the SSID, so at least I see it pop up when it does,

I go into the advanced settigns, and disable the 2,4 and the 5 G , and click save.

all seems good, the hub wifi has stoped broadcasting when I check with phone app,

log out 

and within the hour, its back on again,

repeate above !

What do i need to do to get the hub to remember that I do not want to use your wifi !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

its a known bug - sure its on VM's to do list but when is the question

your only option at the moment is hub in modem mode with a 3rd party router 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

its a known bug - sure its on VM's to do list but when is the question

your only option at the moment is hub in modem mode with a 3rd party router 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you

Amazing....

Only hassle I have with modem mode, is finding a firewall thats fast enough to follow it .

all suggestions welcome, 

@andrewmm wrote:

Thank you

Amazing....

Only hassle I have with modem mode, is finding a firewall thats fast enough to follow it .

all suggestions welcome, 

what speed is your connection?

currently 350,

looking to go up when available 

do you want a single device or a mesh system with multiple nodes?

How much do you want to spend?

Decent consumer brands include Asus, Netgear, TP-Link and Zyxel - anything in the £100+ range (for a single router) should be plenty capable of dealing with your current speeds and up to 600mb.. you may need to spend a bit more to deal with a gig connection.

for a mesh system, you may want/need to spend a little more.. the Deco M5 or M9 should be capable of delivering 600+ mbps (though this will drop off depending on which of the access points a given device is connected to).

@andrewmm Only hassle I have with modem mode, is finding a firewall thats fast enough to follow it .

Why's that an issue?  If you've got a hardware firewall that works in router mode, it'll certainly work connected via a third party router.  And if you're relying on the hub's router as a software firewall then any credible third party router will have a similar built in option that is at least as effective, and potentially has more features.

My apologies @Andrew-G 

I have been guilty of changing the direction of my own thread.

The original problem was that the Virgin wifi keeps turning on ,

which I now know is a long standing problem, and the 'answer' is to switch the hub into modem mode.

For many years , I used modem mode,

and had my own firewall,

but when I moved up to 350 Mb , my firewall was slowing the access speed.

so I switched back to using the hub as the firewall.

So if I switch the hub into modem mode,

I will need a firewall device, 

may be your are confused, assuming I have a single "wifi" router Im using as the wifi, and could then be my firewall.

I don't, 

the house is wired ethernet, the hub connects to the rack switch

into which I have wifi AP's connected, using a server to coordinate the wifi AP's ,

So I'm after a firewall device that can handle 350 Mb , and preferably more to act as a firewall for the house,

In which case, I’d recommend hte UniFi USG - it will do close to gig with none of the whiz bang features switched on (or 2 -250mb with everything switched on)..  if you have deeper pockets and want all those whiz bang features, then the UniFi Dream Machine Pro is capable of gig throughput with everything switched on, but it’s gonna cost your upwards of £400. 

Alternatively, if you have an old pc knocking about, or want to “roll your own” you could buy yourself a mini-pc with a couple of network ports from eBay/Amazon/etc.. and install pfSense, SophosXG, opnsense, untangle or similar and DIY it..

Lots of other “off the shelf” routers will do too - same brands as outlined above, though most of them will come with wireless capability these days so you’d be paying for functionality that you don’t want/need

thank you @sophist

I have some research to do there, 

I'd not thought of s/w firewalls on an older PC , I have a few around....