Menu
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 wifi dropping out

I cant! But.. Area is a vague term in the VM lexicon. To some of there employees it doesnt mean the same as it does in common speak. It can mean different things to different people. They are not "geographic" - they are legacy billing areas from the companies that merged to form VM originally. For example I am in Area 20 in Manchester as are other VM customers in Sussex and Surrey. The engineer may have been a problem in the area - meaning your local street cabs, etc. This would not register online as an Area fault unless it was affecting 1000's of customers. CS bods would only know if there was a "local area fault" if sufficient of your geographically localised neighbours had called it in and it was beginning to appear linked.
At least that's how I see it (might actually be a variant of that) and not really helpful I know.. but its good to know that when you talk to the CS people about "local" issues and "Area faults".

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
marting24
Tuning in
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

So saga continues, dropped out twice yesterday, called helpdesk this morning to find out what has happened after engineer visit. Engineer had advised network guys would look at it. helpdesk advised that some cables had been changed and the ticket closed. No one had called to check all was ok. anyway this morning speeds are now 5-20 rather than 100. I'll have to wait to be lucky for a fault to happen so I can call the helpdesk at the same time again.

This is seriously no good.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Marting24

Sorry to hear of the broadband speeds. Is this a wired/wireless test you're running?

Please do not send a PM unless asked to do so.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
marting24
Tuning in
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

noted about the direct messages just getting rather frustrated.

thanks for responding

It was the wireless this morning, I will try to plug in this evening with Ethernet cable to see if can narrow down the problem. Something that I saw and the engineer experienced the other day was that when doing the speed tests its very staggered speeds up to wherever it gets to on speed where the engineer said it should be almost immediate straight line up to max speed. So feels like the problem has not been rectified and the speeds reduced but will investigate and advise further on the wired connection.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Cheers, please do let us know how the wired test goes.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
marting24
Tuning in
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Wired test resulted in slow speeds. 

Engineer coming again tomorrow afternoon. Speeds still down at 20mb

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi marting24,

How's the service looking since the engineer visit on Tuesday?

Has the issue been resolved of does this still need some close attention from our team?

David_Bn

0 Kudos
marting24
Tuning in
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Engineer booked a check up tomorrow so will wait to see what he said.

he split my 2G and  5G into 2 different names and disabled the channel optimization.

was working fine until about 11:40 today then today we had 3 outages for 5 mins.

upon getting home I checked the network log with snc timing and rcs outage messages that I had before.

So checked the wifi settings and its gone back to channel optimisation checked AND my computer now picks up the network name without the 2G that we created with the engineer. Almost like it reset itself. Lets see what the engineer says.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Apologies if you have done this already..
If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do it this way first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable (old ones do "go off") to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Check speeds like that first - if they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds). Run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
marting24
Tuning in
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

speed issues not a problem now

BUT still getting intermittent wifi. despite 3rd engineer here yesterday who replaced the hub (3rd hub), next engineer coming tomorrow. last chance saloon virgin. personally it seems like the channel optimisation confuses itself but what do I know, simple user.

0 Kudos