cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 tripping electrics

mike_babb
On our wavelength

Hi,

Last night one of the rcd fuses on my panel kept tripping out.  if i reset it it would then trip out again about 5-10 minutes later.  After a process of elimination it turns out to be the Virgin Hub 3, if that is unplugged the electrics don't trip. Anyone have knowledge of this happening before?  I am not an IT expert, so go easy on me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s a Hub3 and the white LED shows it’s in router mode. If it had been red it would have been overheating, although it does seem to be in an enclosed space which is certainly not good for WiFi transmission. Your best option is to monitor and wait for a VM staff member to get to your post in a few days. You could try customer services on 0345 454 1111, but I think you will have a problem describing what’s going wrong.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What hub is it? What is the colour or the LED on it?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

mike_babb
On our wavelength

Hi Tudor,

Thanks for your reply. The main light on the bottom at the front is sort of white-ish (see image below).

Screenshot_20211225-230729_Gallery.jpg

Cheers 

Mike

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s a Hub3 and the white LED shows it’s in router mode. If it had been red it would have been overheating, although it does seem to be in an enclosed space which is certainly not good for WiFi transmission. Your best option is to monitor and wait for a VM staff member to get to your post in a few days. You could try customer services on 0345 454 1111, but I think you will have a problem describing what’s going wrong.

Tudor

mike_babb
On our wavelength

I have an engineer coming out on 29th, but if I could resolve it before then it would be useful. You might be right about it overheating, so I've taken it out and put it somewhere more open. It's odd, the last two days I've turned it back on in the morning and it's lasted about 6 hours before tripping out. After that it trips out every 5 or 6 mins after restarting it.  It  definitely is something to do with the router as when I leave it off nothing trips. Do you know if their supplying the Hub 5 now? 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @mike_babb 

The hub 5 is invitation only at present.

it won't be released fully until some time next year. it's undergoing testing which is why it's invite only.

To be honest a few people on teh forums have been put  back onto the hun 3 as the hub 5 is too flaky at present.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your reply. I’ll be happy to get whatever they give me, so long as it works. The poor thing put a six hour shift in earlier so now it’s having a rest until the morning. 

Mike

I wonder if it could be a problem with the PSU for the hub - Hub warming up trying to draw more power - PSU trips the mains.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Could be.  I swapped the psu for a spare one I had and exactly the same thing happens, so if that is the issue I think the source of it is in the Hub 3. 

Is it an RCD or an MCB that's tripping?  An RCD trips on an earth fault, an MCB trips on an excessive load.

If a different PSU still has the same symptoms, then that likely rules out a PSU fault.  Whilst not impossible, it would be very unusual for a fault on the DC side of the hub to trigger an RCD, since there's no earth connection.  It is similarly not impossible, but unlikely that the hub could take sufficient current to trigger an MCB, since these are normally set at a whole circuit value (typically around 20-30 amps) and the PSU's mains plug fuse would blow if more than the rated current was drawn.  Plug fuse should be 3 amp, that would typically blow are around 6 amps.  

So see what happens with a technician, but don't discount faulty wall socket wiring, a faulty circuit elsewhere, or a faulty circuit breaker.