cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 to 5 ???

roy247
Community elder

Hi,

I received the email this week offering the upgrade to Hub 5 and after reading some of the negative posts the immediate reaction is to ignore the offer, but then you know there will always be more negative reviews than positive ones because most people don't bother to say how good something is, so is there any benefit of the Hub 5 over the Hub 3 apart from being able to receive 1Gb, and that leads to my next thought.

As I am on the Ultimate Oomph is that the reason I have received the offer, is it virgin are going to upgrade all ultimate oomph customer's to 1Gb to bring them in line with ultimate volt in which case I would need a new hub.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Roy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@roy247 currently there are a few ‘issues’ shall we say with the Hub 5. But basically ask yourself this, does what you have now work perfectly? If yes then what advantages will a hub 5 give you (hint: none whatsoever), compared to possible problems?

Read the various threads on here regarding the hub 5 and decide accordingly - personally I have declined having one, as I did the hub 4, which might or might not influence your decision.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I should wait until you need one. They are not as present being shipped to 1G customers, people who use the pods or people whose landline is connected to the hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jem101
Superstar

@roy247 currently there are a few ‘issues’ shall we say with the Hub 5. But basically ask yourself this, does what you have now work perfectly? If yes then what advantages will a hub 5 give you (hint: none whatsoever), compared to possible problems?

Read the various threads on here regarding the hub 5 and decide accordingly - personally I have declined having one, as I did the hub 4, which might or might not influence your decision.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
And I declined the Hub3 upgrade 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:
And I declined the Hub3 upgrade 🙂

I’m thinking of starting a YouTube group, “people who have declined a VM hub upgrade on the grounds that they don’t actually work….’

roy247
Community elder

Hi jem101,

Maybe I will stick with what I have, speedtest usually shows over 600Mb to my pc and wifi speeds although a bit slow depending on the device isn't really a problem, and there again it depends on your reference point as to what slow is, it's not really an issue when just googling something on your phone.

The hub 5 will be an upgrade on the hub 4 once it has been debugged, but just because it will support Gig1 hardly means that you get an upgrade to Gig1. If you want Gig1 you have to pay for it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The hub 5 will be an upgrade on the hub 4 once it has been debugged, but just because it will support Gig1 hardly means that you get an upgrade to Gig1. If you want Gig1 you have to pay for it.

Virgin do occasionally roll up your broadband speeds without cost, my reference to 1Gb was if virgin did roll up the speed I wouldn't be able to receive it without a hub 4 or 5, and the hub 4 looks like a definite no according to all the posts about it.

I would take the SH5 to rid your network of Intel Puma hardware, particularly if you use the hub in modem mode with your own router, as using modem mode you will likely not have the teething issues the SH5 has in router mode at the moment, then you've got it ready for any future speed increases.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node