cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 solid red light, modem mode

superfi
Joining in

Hello my Hub 3 was set up yesterday on my install date.

Yesterday the hub worked OK with my home network after I switched it into modem mode, but today it won’t work in modem mode anymore. I get the solid red light.

If I switch back to WiFi mode it seems to work OK.

I see there are some similar overheating threads on here for Hub 3s. It is well ventilated and seems a little warm to the touch, but it’s not what I’d call hot.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the colour of the LED in modem mode, it should be magenta although this can look red to some people.

What is the could of the LED when in router mode, it should be white or can look orange or yellow.

If when I’m router mode, as above, then the hub is not overheating. I suspect you did not put the hub into modem mode correctly. Full instructions below:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect just a PC to the hub and change to modem mode wait 5mins unplug replug Ethernet as needed.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the colour of the LED in modem mode, it should be magenta although this can look red to some people.

What is the could of the LED when in router mode, it should be white or can look orange or yellow.

If when I’m router mode, as above, then the hub is not overheating. I suspect you did not put the hub into modem mode correctly. Full instructions below:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green, on a Hub5 the LED will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money. On a Hub5 use port 4.

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or when VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I have followed these steps exactly and I see the solid red light. If I restart the hub after these steps it goes to solid red again, after flashing green for a short while.

Also it looks red to me, and to my partner. Not magenta.

In this state I can log in at 192.169.100.1 and I see 

• Wireless (Off)
  • Internet (Modem mode)
  • Telephony (Disabled)

Thanks for the help so far. I’ll put it back into normal mode and try the steps from the other post now…

Thanks for all your help, I now have Internet on my mesh network using modem mode on the hub.

Following Tudor’s instructions got me there, and I also factory reset my mesh network routers too so maybe that helped.

I swear the light still looks bright red and not magenta. But I do have Internet so for now, so I’ll regard this as fixed.

Hi superfi,

Thanks for your post, welcome to the forums!

I'm pleased to hear that Tudor's advice helped you out. Sometimes the magenta light may appear more of a reddish colour to some people. Provided that your hub light isn't red in router mode, you'll be absolutely fine.

Let us know if you need any further help

Beth