cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 replacement?

alanjairey
Joining in

I've read about the zero day vulnerability in the news recently, which uncovers the true IP of the user even if they use a VPN. (https://portswigger.net/daily-swig/vpn-users-unmasked-by-zero-day-vulnerability-in-virgin-media-rout...)

Has this been patched on the Hub 3 already or if not, when will this happen?

If the Hub 4 is not vulnerable to this exploit, are we able to get one to replace the Hub 3?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@alanjairey wrote:

I've read about the zero day vulnerability in the news recently, which uncovers the true IP of the user even if they use a VPN. (https://portswigger.net/daily-swig/vpn-users-unmasked-by-zero-day-vulnerability-in-virgin-media-rout...)

If the Hub 4 is not vulnerable to this exploit, are we able to get one to replace the Hub 3?

Well VM are famously tight-lipped about what exactly is in any firmware updates, as they haven't expressly said that this vulnerability has been fixed then assume it hasn't.

When will it happen? Who knows? To be honest considering all the other flaws in the firmware especially in the Hub 4 - probably never! I would imagine that VM would take a look at what percentage of customers probably use a VPN and conclude that it's not worth expending resources on fixing

As for the Hub 4, I would expect they share a lot of code, so probably best to assume that this is just as vulnerable, and judging by a number of posts across this forum, possibly more flaky.

The vulnerability is a DNS rebind attack so it should be mitigated if you use your own router with the Hub in modem mode.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The problem is only when you use a VPN.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

and can be mitigated pretty easily too by the sounds of it!

I think if you're savvy enough to be using a VPN then you will be able to put in place the mitigation required to prevent you being vulnerable!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jem101
Superstar

@alanjairey wrote:

Well VM are famously tight-lipped about what exactly is in any firmware updates, as they haven't expressly said that this vulnerability has been fixed then assume it hasn't.

When will it happen? Who knows? To be honest considering all the other flaws in the firmware especially in the Hub 4 - probably never! I would imagine that VM would take a look at what percentage of customers probably use a VPN and conclude that it's not worth expending resources on fixing

As for the Hub 4, I would expect they share a lot of code, so probably best to assume that this is just as vulnerable, and judging by a number of posts across this forum, possibly more flaky.

The vulnerability is a DNS rebind attack so it should be mitigated if you use your own router with the Hub in modem mode.