cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 red light

E_Ally
Joining in

Hi,

Can someone with knowledge of the Hub3 please confirm if the red light is an overheating fault. or faulty device.

Been on the phone to VM support for the best part of an hour and they just keep going around the flow regarding connected wifi devices and connection issue... but can't even tell me what the red light is indicating ???

Many thanks!! 

8 REPLIES 8

lotharmat
Community elder
If you are in router mode and not modem mode then yes - the red light is an indication that the hub could be overheating.

Even if it is a false positive then the hub needs replacing as it could mask a true fault that could cause a fire.

Hang tight for forum staff or call it in on 150 (0345 454 111 from a non VM phone)

If you do call it in - don't let them fob you off that it doesn't need replacing! - You wouldn't tolerate a false positive brake warning light on your car!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi, thanks for the reply....

have spent most of the day on the phone to some VM staff who just fob me off as this being non-issue.

The useless operators can't even say what the red light indicates ??

As an electrical design engineer i find it totally incomprehensible that they do not know what hardware or firmware issue is causing this!!

Waiting to see if any further help or advise is posted here......

Hi @E-Ally,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. I do apologise for the service received over the phone. 

The red light on the hub is an overheating indicator. If the hub is hot to touch, we'd advise letting it cool down and to keep the hub in an open space and well ventilated.

Can you please try performing a pin hole reset of the hub and let us know if this fixes the issue with the red light?  

If its still the same, please let me know and I can book a technician appointment for you so this can be checked and replaced if needed.

Hope to hear from you soon 🙂 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ayisha_B,

Thanks for the reply.

The hub is not overly hot to touch -- it's no warmer than any other electrical device that is powered up 24/7.

I did both a power down and a pin hole reset and neither fixed the issue - hence the light is still red.

Many thanks

In that case the hub needs replacing as the sensor is faulty!

It's there and 'sensing' or a reason!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks for the update @E_Ally.

Are you experiencing any issues on the hub besides the colour change? Are other services affected?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Akua_A

The only other thing which we've, (wife and kids), noticed is that the wifi to connected devices sometimes drops out.

As it hasn't happened to me and was at times when i was not at home i didn't check the hub to see if there was any additional lights on it at the time these drop-outs happened.

Apart from that all else seems fine

Regards

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @E_Ally.

Thanks for getting back to us. If the overheating indicator on your Hub is broken, this would be a safety concern. I would therefore like to book an engineer appointment for you so that we can check this more thoroughly. I'll just need to confirm a few details with you via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team