cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 red light - overheating warning

PikkuMyy
Joining in

My hub 3 has come up with a permanent red light. It is in router mode so indicates overheating.

Have reset the router, switched it off for the night but power light still remains red.

Called Virgin Media to try to get the router replaced but was told just to ignore the warning light.

But isn't this a possible fire hazard?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

It's probably a very, very low risk for fire, since if it is overheating that is almost certainly at CPU level, and the device would throttle the CPU down.  Or it could be a faulty indicator.  However, it does need replacing and I've flagged for staff to advise.

If you felt strongly about the fact that the call centre told you to ignore it, then complain to your local Trading Standards team who may choose to take it up with VM.  It's important to be clear that the complaint is not about the device (things go wrong, that's the way of the world) but about the company's staff telling you and presumably other customers to ignore it.  Not the first time we've seen this reported.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

It's probably a very, very low risk for fire, since if it is overheating that is almost certainly at CPU level, and the device would throttle the CPU down.  Or it could be a faulty indicator.  However, it does need replacing and I've flagged for staff to advise.

If you felt strongly about the fact that the call centre told you to ignore it, then complain to your local Trading Standards team who may choose to take it up with VM.  It's important to be clear that the complaint is not about the device (things go wrong, that's the way of the world) but about the company's staff telling you and presumably other customers to ignore it.  Not the first time we've seen this reported.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi PikkuMyy

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Thanks for doing the checks including a reset. We do ask everyone to do the following if they have a red light on the router;

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.
• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location and out of direct sunlight, if possible. 
• Switch the hub back on at the power. The Hub should now operate normally.

I'll now send you a PM to get a tech visit in and also send feedback regarding the call you had.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi PikkuMyy

Thanks for joining me on PM. This is to confirm the technician visit has been booked. It can be tracked or re-arranged if needed, in your online account

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Many thanks. Faulty router replaced by your ever so delightful tech.

I just wish Virgin Media call desk wouldn’t let you down so badly on the level of service.

Hi PikkuMyy,

Thanks so much for the update. I'm pleased to hear that our technician was able to get this sorted for you.

I am sorry again for the experience you had when speaking with our team over the phone, we'll ensure to get this fed back.

Kind regards

Beth