cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 on modem mode suddenly stopped connecting to the intetnet

Stellaelaela
Joining in

I have a Hub3 connected to an Asus AI mesh and have been running this setup for nearly a year. Yesterday internet stopped working. Run all checks on service checker on virgin website and was told to reset router as modem mode might be creating issues. Sure enough, when restored to router mode the internet came back. I have since tried to put it on modem mode again and lost internet again. Not sure why this is happening? 

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Impossible to tell whats happening with a home router could be a change in IP that don't work or VM not accepting the DHCP.

You would need kit to see the problem but VM know its unlikely you would get such a kit and really you should not have too.

It is more then likely changing your MAC on the mesh may fix the issue but again you should not need to do this.

Connect a PC to the hub in modem mode and try that and try power off hub for 2mins and unplug replug the Ethernet till you get internet will likely work.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You WAN IP address may have changed. Best thing to try is set it up from scratch, instructions follow:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

g0akc
Problem sorter

I would tend to suspect something on the Asus.

I would troubleshoot by putting a small Ethernet switch with mirror port between hub and Asus  - then look at the packets with Wireshark or similar.  In particular the BOOTP (DHCP) dialogue.  If you don't have suitable kit or the skills it's pretty much as already advised.

It's also possible to use a PC as a DHCP server and see if the Asus connects and solicits an IP address.

If you have laptop connect that, and only that, using Ethernet cable to the hub and put it in modem mode - see if that works.

Check all settings on the Asus.  Has there been a firmware update?  is it set to use DHCP on its WAN side?

Let us know if you get this resolved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!