cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 not working in Modem Mode & tp Deco x60 problem

Kellyfamily
On our wavelength

I'm also having problems with this. Very very many hours trying to get a Hub 3 to act as a modem, so that I can install a Mesh wifi system tp deco AX3000 X60.

The steps to get in and change the settings of the Hub 3 to a modem are OK (it's a bit of a pain having to by a connector so that I can then connect to a Mac, but so be it). The steps to control the X60, via the app work ok.

What happens is, and I don't quite know exactly why yet, I convert over to modem and after the reboot the Hub 3 goes to a red light and my only way out of that is to reboot, back to wireless mode and restart the whole process. Trying to isolate and see if it's something about trying to sort the deco (on wifi as your steps have been very helpful about) or a fundamental modem problem.

If I run the Hub as a modem can I still use the ethernet ports/ more than one? I've seen one comment that as a modem I can only use one port, to the deco, and if I want to run anything else eg a PS, then I've to run that from the deco. Is that true.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Connect this way

Switch on and set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (and all other Mesh units) and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection.

Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Kellyfamily wrote:

What happens is, and I don't quite know exactly why yet, I convert over to modem and after the reboot the Hub 3 goes to a red light

yes its meant to be red

@Kellyfamily wrote:

If I run the Hub as a modem can I still use the ethernet ports/ more than one?

no

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Connect this way

Switch on and set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (and all other Mesh units) and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection.

Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

OMG it could be that simeplmy deco light goes red too, so I'd assumed there was a problem at the modem end. But your answer's been very helpful. it's work in progress, slow progress.

Thanks John, I thought I’d followed these instructions to the letter last night. I’m going to try again. Still not working but I’m also the variable in the equation.

Q - I’m reading, & in this thread, that I can only have one Ethernet cable out from Hub 3, it will have to go to deco box. So if I want to run a cable to my virgin TV/ tivo box do I have to run that from deco or can I still run it from Hub 3 in modem mode? That would be 2 cables, and breach the 1 cable rule…

Thank you so much. Worked just as you said.

Kudos friend.

Thanks for your help. All sorted.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Excellent.

Any ethernet connections to your devices must now emanate from the Deco's ports. If you need more then just get an unmanaged switch with 1GB ports and plug it into the other port on the Deco and use the extra ports. Use Cat6a cables.

Something like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG105S-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07HP5TN4S/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Again, thank you. Can't tell you how grateful I am. I'll do that.

syn3rgy
On our wavelength

I seem to be having the same problem now with my Deco P9.

Yesterday we had a service outage in our area and at the same time renewing my contract and upgrading to the M200. When services resumed in my area, i noticed my Deco was showing Red. 

I have done everything from

1) rebooting all
2) replacing cables
3) factory resetting Decos
4) factory resetting Home Hub (and putting it back in Modem mode again)
5) following your instructions below that others have had success with.

unfortunately, I'm still having the same issue. When i look at the WAN Details in the decom app, i does not show me anything. I placed the HH back in router mode and i have internet connectivity however, going back to modem mode and the deco turns red again and stays red no matter what i do with empty WAN details.

If anyone can offer some assistance, i would GREATLY appreciate it. 

PS also spoke to virgin but we all know how that goes...