cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 not working correctly

Marie2207
Tuning in

My home hub 3 dosent seem to be working correctly all I have on the front of the hub is a orange light and nothing else I also notice there is very little signal upstairs with a message saying no Internet connection, what lights should be visible on hub 3 when it's working correctly. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A solid white base light is normal - although it can be a bit off-white/yellowish/pinkish on some Hubs it seems

Is this a new Hub? A New install? Both? If its an old Hub has it been working fine until now?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A solid white base light is normal - although it can be a bit off-white/yellowish/pinkish on some Hubs it seems

Is this a new Hub? A New install? Both? If its an old Hub has it been working fine until now?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Marie2207

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on with the connection today?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi i am still having wifi issues in my home wifi seems to be non existent up stairs or very limited also my speed has dropped dramatically from 700mbs to around 160mbs im constantly checking my speed and since installation day the speeds have dropped day by day, my main issue is the router as the wifi signal is very poor compared to my bt home hub so i would like to look into cancellation of the service as i believe im within the 28 days cooling period,the home hub 3 is very poor where wifi is related and the fact there is no lights other than an orange power light dosent show me the true status of the router Please advise what can be done as im looking to cancel the service and use my bt hub which i have kept going until i was happy with virgin which isnt happening Thank you

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Cancellation period is 14 days from service activation. Re the wifi issues see this....

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What speeds do you get on ethernet?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens (flashing green base light perhaps?)?

If it is a wifi only issue (hence doing the tests above) , then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location.

Also use a wifi scanning App (or Apple Airport Utility) to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

In fact the BT equipment "might" be able to be used as a wireless access point(s) connected to the Hub3 to boost signal in dead spots. Someone who knows more about that should comment on if and how that should be done

To help that... what model of BT Hub do you have - any "discs"?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Marie2207
Tuning in

Can anyone tell me how you get support for broadband as my WiFi signal is terrible and my speed is like a yo-yo up an down by at least 400mbs customer service seems to be non existent unless you sit on the phone for hours and live chat links never connect, how do I cancel this service as unhappy upto now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calling is the best option though you may currently have a 10 minute wait or so. If you do decide to cancel, it can’t be done via this forum. 

When you call, ignore the automated message that offers to send a support link to your mobile - keep holding and eventually your call will be answered.

If you can provide more detail about the issues you’re having, someone here may be able to help.

This response was posted before the posts were merged. 

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Marie2207 Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it is against the forum rules.  I have merged your threads.

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Marie2207 wrote:

Can anyone tell me how you get support for broadband as my WiFi signal is terrible and my speed is like a yo-yo up an down by at least 400mbs customer service seems to be non existent unless you sit on the phone for hours and live chat links never connect, how do I cancel this service as unhappy upto now.

You havent answered my questions yet from message 5 ?

If you cancel after 14 days there will be an early exit fee of ~£250 (I forget the exact amount) - far cheaper to let the community on here sort the issue for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for coming back to us @Marie2207.

I have looked on our systems and there are issues with your connection that would need you to check to make sure that the co-axial cable coming into your home is correctly seated in the hub and onto the wall socket.

Please give this a try and let me know if it makes any difference.

Regards,

Steven_L