cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 not showing Ethernet connected devices & poor speed

aguansing
Tuning in

For many years now, I have been using a Netgear 8 port 10/100/1GB port switch with my VM hub 3 on 200Mb package. Have had some connectivity issue and speed fluctuation from time to time but nothing major until recently.

Last weekend, notice that my web browsing experience has slowed done and that some pages are not loading up. I check my speed using SpeedTest and Fast.com, the result was well below expected at average 5Mb download and 10Mb upload. Wifi is a little better than Ethernet which is strange. So I logged in Hub to check and it is not showing any Ethernet connected devices. This looked weird so I started to trouble shoot and after a week still no resolution and wonder if anyone has experienced this?

A VM Engineer came after a couple of days trying to get a resolution with Customer Service/Support. Engineer said that there is an issue with the junction box and the service is not pushing through correctly and they'll fix this. Engineer replaced the Hub 3 also. Troubleshooting process done on both old and new Hub and still no change.

Received a txt from VM after 2 days after engineer visit that the engineer has completed their work and the service should be back to normal but I'm still having issues. Now waiting for engineer to come again.

Trouble shooting on Hub 3.0:
- Power reboot by unplugging power charger for over 1min and again for 30min
- Reboot using Hub 3.0 web browser
- Reboot using VM Connect App
- VM Service Status check on web
- Factory Reset on Hub web browser app
- Pin hole reset on Hub modem

Trouble shooting on PC
- Tried connecting on Wifi only to check speed
- Driver update on Network and Adapter Card
- Malware and Virus scan - nothing shown
- ipconfig flus/renew on CMD mode
- last resort was Restore PC to last known stable internet connection a week ago.

Been running around in circle trying to find an answer but nothing from VM Customer Service who told me that a technical manager would call back after an hour, it has been 2 days now and no call back. In communication on tweeter with VM Help and they just keep advising to call VM Customer service/Support. Browse web and forum for answer and nothing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried connecting a wired device directly to the hub nothing else connected and not through your switches and tested the speed?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried connecting a wired device directly to the hub nothing else connected and not through your switches and tested the speed?

This seems to have fixed my speed issue as a direct connection to the Hub seems to work for my PC.

However, the reason I have a port switch is because I need to connect other devices by wired.
The Hub 3 only allows 1 wired connection even though there are 4 ports available.

Thought it fixed it, but after a 2nd speed test, back to square one.

I have fixed the issue, it seems the wire that connected the Hub to the switch was not connected correctly. After unplugging all the wires an correctly connecting each wire correctly, everything is back to normal. Thank you, just needed an outside perspective as been immersed on this for days now and did to get to check the most obvious cause. Hint & Tips, helps to have different wire colours for incoming and out going.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

However, the reason I have a port switch is because I need to connect other devices by wired. The Hub 3 only allows 1 wired connection even though there are 4 ports available.” Not true. In router mode all 4 ports are available. It’s only when in modem mode that only 1 port can be used and this must be connected to a router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2