Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 not enforcing WiFi security

After weeks of my hub 3 dropping wifi from only 2 feet away i now have a new problem.

My wifi connection has spontaneously switched to insecure. All devices that connect to it say it is an insecure network.

I connect to the router and check wifi settings and is says 2.4 and 5G are both protected by WPA2-PSK. However, this is false. All devices say its an insecure network and if i "forget" the wifi router and then try to connect to it again, it does so without prompting for a password.

I can see several devices connecting to my network that i don't own because i don't recognise the MAC addresses. This is obviously a major security concern.  I have tried a factory reset and this has helped at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 not enforcing WiFi security

factory reset has "NOT" helped at all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

have you seen the "pink" post above (iOS 14 'Weak Security') and followed that procedure?

Re the reset...

--------------------------------
Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John

I did note the message about iphone, but I am seeing this on android and pre ios 14 apple phone, and the report is "no security" rather than weak security

I disconnect my 2 ethernet connections (PC and playstation) , held a jewellery screwdriver in the reset button for 70 seconds

it then when through the led booting sequence. I left it for 10 minutes after it was just a solid white led. I then reconnected ethernets OK

Wifi couldn't connect. 10 minutes after that, wifi could connect - but once again, no security, so 20 minutes after the solid white led.

It must have done the reset because i had put it into modem mode an hour prior to the reset to prevent unknown wifi logins - after the reset, back to router mode

This is what my android phone says about the connection .....

Network speed      144 Mbps

Security                None

IP Address           192.168.0.11

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Do the pinhole reset 3 times in a row, one after the other 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

is that, hold if for 1 minute, let it reboot to white led, hold it for another minute, let it reboot to white led, hold it for 1 minute, let it reboot to white led. wait 10 minutes, reconnect ethernet cable and then try wifi connection again when it lets me connect ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hold in 60 seconds, release, hold in again, release, one more time....

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

do i not give it any time to actual complete the reboot between those resets ?

is it literally , hold for 60 seconds, release for 1 second, then reapply for another 60 etc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@neil_vmedia wrote:

do i not give it any time to actual complete the reboot between those resets ?

is it literally , hold for 60 seconds, release for 1 second, then reapply for another 60 etc

Correct 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

No, still the same

reset 1 = 17:37 to 17:38

reset 2 = 17:38 to 17:39

reset 3 = 17:39 to 17:40

18:00, devices can connect to wifi without any security enforcement  (I forced the device to "forget" the network, which in past has meant redoing the password when i want to join. This no longer occurs)

0 Kudos