cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 modem only

ukmartian
Up to speed

Hi all, .I have just purchased a TP link router,  which i want to use  I know how to set my hub3 to modem mode but I have been told that by doing this will disable the ethernet  ports as well except the one to the new router,  is this correct?. However if I disable the 2.4 and  5/ghz bands instead of going into router mode can I still use the ethernet ports. I want to position my new router in a different position and don't want to connect my TV etc by wifi..  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

So, you have a couple of options.

Hub in Modem Mode:

Run two cables from the hub to the desired location of the new router. Connect one from the hub to the new routers WAN interface, and connect the other from one of the LAN ports on router to a switch back at the location of the hub. this will give you ports in the current hub location and hte new router location.

Hub in Router Mode:

as suggested, leave the hub in router mode and use the new router in access point mode. this will leave you with the existing ports on the hub working as they do currently but will mean that you have two wireless network broadcasts, one from the hub and one from the access point.  Unfortunately there's a bug/feature in the current hub software that automatically re-enables the wifi broadcast if you disable it, so you're kinda stuck with this until VM resolve whatever the issue is with the forced re-enable

if you go with this option, just make sure that the hub and access point are broadcasting on channels 1, 6 or 11 for the 2.4ghz network (each one on a different channel) and also on separate/different 5ghz channels (doens't matter which, just make sure they're different). Then forget teh hub network on all devices and connect everything to the new wireless broadcast.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

If you need help - just pop on here - we'd be glad to help!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Just connect things to the new router by long Ethernet cables or keep the router next to the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I thought off that but I want to put the new router away from the  hub to get range to the back off the house's blackspots and garden..I don't want cables trailing everywhere 1 cable I can hide 4 would be a pain..

You needed an AP rather than a router but now that you have it I would put the new router into AP mode and leave the Hub3 in router mode. You can then connect the new AP to the hub3 with an ethernet cable.

Trying to get away from VM wifi fed up with continual drop outs told I had to many devices connected to it I got options new router can be set as just a router AP or a range extender...i have a 10 meter cable so can move it about 

So, you have a couple of options.

Hub in Modem Mode:

Run two cables from the hub to the desired location of the new router. Connect one from the hub to the new routers WAN interface, and connect the other from one of the LAN ports on router to a switch back at the location of the hub. this will give you ports in the current hub location and hte new router location.

Hub in Router Mode:

as suggested, leave the hub in router mode and use the new router in access point mode. this will leave you with the existing ports on the hub working as they do currently but will mean that you have two wireless network broadcasts, one from the hub and one from the access point.  Unfortunately there's a bug/feature in the current hub software that automatically re-enables the wifi broadcast if you disable it, so you're kinda stuck with this until VM resolve whatever the issue is with the forced re-enable

if you go with this option, just make sure that the hub and access point are broadcasting on channels 1, 6 or 11 for the 2.4ghz network (each one on a different channel) and also on separate/different 5ghz channels (doens't matter which, just make sure they're different). Then forget teh hub network on all devices and connect everything to the new wireless broadcast.

Thanks for the advise..I have been pondering this all night lol and Option 2 sounds the best option with a tweak if it works  ..as most of my issues have been wifi and most off my devices are on the 2.4 band..I will disable that and reassign the ssid and password to my new router and also change  the  5ghz ssid and password at the hub I will  then ignore the 5 ghz on all devices  hopefully my devices will then recognise the new router without having to change anything,  if not I will 'play with it '..I am not sure about how to set the 5ghz channels but I will learn. .

If you need help - just pop on here - we'd be glad to help!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Does VM supply a modem only or is it possible to get my own, or am I limited to using the Hub 3

@ukmartian wrote:

Does VM supply a modem only or is it possible to get my own, or am I limited to using the Hub 3

limited to teh hub3 i'm afraid.