cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 modem networking through wireless router.

Totallyclueless
Tuning in

Hi all 

I’m struggling to get my TPlink Archer 2800 wireless router to network with the Hub 3. I’ve set the H3 to modem and the magenta led is lit. I’ve set the TPLink to wireless router mode and un-enabled the DHCP but still no success. The network ports in using are the WAN/LAN 4 on the TPlink and I’ve tried 1&4 on the H3. The H3 has internet in normal modem/wireless mode but I’m completely lost. The last tennent had the same router and it worked fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Totallyclueless wrote:

Thanks for all that so far guys, I was under the impression that DHCP should be off. How does the TPlink know where to look for the internet then? 

So is it all working now?

We may be talking at cross purposes - but DHCP should usually be enabled/used for both WAN and LAN for such a setup.

The WAN (network connection) is covered on page 17 of the manual (link below) - you'll want this configured for using DHCP (it's not shown very well in the manual) so the router obtains a public IP address from the VM network - the DHCP server is in the VM network.

https://static.tp-link.com/1910012125_Archer%20VR2800(EU)_V1_UG.pdf

The LAN side DHCP (your own network within the house) is covered on page 79 - you'll likely want the router's DHCP server running so that your devices are assigned an IP address, without having to manually manage and configure each device.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

g0akc
Problem sorter

You should have DHCP enabled on the TP link router (unless you’re only using fixed IP addresses)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

sophist
Trouble shooter

un-enabled DHCP?

Make sure that the WAN connection on your TP-link is configured to use "DHCP" or "Automatic" or "Get address automatically"..

Disconnect all cables from the hub.

Switch the hub and TP-Link off

Connect the TP-Link to one of the hubs ethernet ports.

Switch the TP-Link on and leave it a few minutes to settle down

Switch the Hub on and leave it a few minutes to settle down

Should all be working..

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Not sure what you mean by un-enabled the DHCP as you need DHCP on the WAN port to get IP.

If you can get a PC to work with the hub in modem mode you can copy its MAC to your router WAN port by MAC clone option then connect the router to the hub.
---------------------------------------------------------------

g0akc
Problem sorter

Do you have a laptop and can you connect it to the TP Link router with an Ethernet cable - for diagnostic purposes?

if so, does it acquire an IP address ?  You’ll need DHCP working to provide one, unless you set one manually 

can you access the router set up pages?

can you see a list of devices connected?

Thanks for all that so far guys, I was under the impression that DHCP should be off. How does the TPlink know where to look for the internet then? 

Also, unfortunately my older laptop with an rJ45 doesn’t seem to want to work nowadays so I’m just using my Surface pro

I can see the set up pages on both routers and I’ve seen the list of devices on when solely using the H3 

DHCP is a means for the TP-Link to communicate with the upstream infrastructure and request an IP address.. once it has one, it can take care of the rest..

@Totallyclueless wrote:

So is it all working now?

We may be talking at cross purposes - but DHCP should usually be enabled/used for both WAN and LAN for such a setup.

The WAN (network connection) is covered on page 17 of the manual (link below) - you'll want this configured for using DHCP (it's not shown very well in the manual) so the router obtains a public IP address from the VM network - the DHCP server is in the VM network.

https://static.tp-link.com/1910012125_Archer%20VR2800(EU)_V1_UG.pdf

The LAN side DHCP (your own network within the house) is covered on page 79 - you'll likely want the router's DHCP server running so that your devices are assigned an IP address, without having to manually manage and configure each device.

Thanks, I’ve only just had chance to pick this up again and had missed your message. No, it’s still not sorted. Looking at the link you’ve provided, it looks like I need a user name and password? 
That’s the stumbling block each time as we don’t have that. I can’t think for the life of me why VM even distribute such an inadequate piece of equipment as the the Hub3.