cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 modem mode

Jimjam75
Joining in

Hi,

I’ve recently added a Deco M9 mesh system to my home and I was having all sorts of issues with WiFi signal, my Sonos etc dropping out.  I realised it was due to having the hub and Deco both in Router mode. I turned off the WiFi on the hub. It worked ok for a while, then more issues. I solved those by changing the Deco to AP mode only. Everything works now but it seems a shame not to be able to use the anti virus etc on the Deco now. I read if I put the hub in modem mode, plugged the deco into this, only the deco, then added a switch to the Main Deco, it should all work ok. Everything plugged into the switch they I want hard wired. 

stupid question, the Virgin cable in from the wall has a coax and Ethernet cable. Both need to be connected into the hub. If I can only plug the Deco into the hub, when it’s in modem modem, where do I plug the Ethernet cable linked to the coax cable? The virgin instructions suggest it has to be in the Hub? Would it go in the switch?

thanks

Jaimie

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Jimjam75 wrote:

....where do I plug the Ethernet cable linked to the coax cable? The virgin instructions suggest it has to be in the Hub? Would it go in the switch?

Yes to the switch but what is this Ethernet cable linked to the coax cable connected too?

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Anonymous
Not applicable
that is just a ethernet cable to the tivo. you can connect that to your own router just use any other ethernet cable

Anonymous
Not applicable
pretty much. if you have good wigi you could even unplug it nad use wifi

You need a set up similar to one of these ...

V6-connectiontivo-v6

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

12 REPLIES 12

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Set it up like this ...

Put the Hub 3 into modem mode …

To enable modem mode on your Hub 3

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Hub 3.0
  2. Open your Internet browser
  3. Log in to your Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser
  4. Enter your Hub 3 settings password. The default password is on the bottom of the Hub 3.  If you have changed the default password, enter that password instead
  5. Once you've logged in, click Modem Mode on the left
  6. Click the option next to Enable Modem Mode and then click Apply changes

and wait for the base light to turn magenta.

Note: Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1.

………………………………………………………………………..

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub 3 then power off the Hub 3.

Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialized (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat 5E/6 cable to the Hub 3.

Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Jimjam75 wrote:

....where do I plug the Ethernet cable linked to the coax cable? The virgin instructions suggest it has to be in the Hub? Would it go in the switch?

Yes to the switch but what is this Ethernet cable linked to the coax cable connected too?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable
there is no ehternet from the coax.

the coax comes from the wall into the hub. then the hubs connects to your own router by ethernet and all your ethernet connections then connect to your own router.

you can only connect one ethernet into your own router in modem mode

99D11AB2-9B62-4ABE-B7C7-E9AD1CBC08F7.jpeg

Thanks Alessandro.

the coax is connected to the wall plate. Then Into a splitter (tv and broadband). Then four cables come out of the splitter. Two coax and two Ethernet. The setup instructions said to plug one coax and one Ethernet into both the hub and the virgin tv box.

Hi and thank you. 

it’s this Ethernet and coax, which comes from the virgin splitter box?

5CD73CC6-0251-474F-81F9-478EA0EED9F7.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable
that is just a ethernet cable to the tivo. you can connect that to your own router just use any other ethernet cable

Ah, get it.  So it is taking the broadband signal from hub, via the splitter box, to the TiVo. Make sense now.  So I just plug that into the switch. 

thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable
pretty much. if you have good wigi you could even unplug it nad use wifi

You need a set up similar to one of these ...

V6-connectiontivo-v6