cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 modem mode no longer working

markytaz
Joining in

Since the planned maintenance work on Monday 10th Jan, my Hub 3 has stopped working when in modem mode. 

The device displays a constant red light, its in a ventilated place and is cool to touch, and if i do a hard reset and return it back to being a router it connects to the internet, but if i switch it back in to modem mode, i get a flashing white light, followed by a flashing green light, then green and the two arrows, then red arrows and finally a solid red light.

No issues prior to the 10th, and ive read somewhere on the help pages only certain hubs are modem mode compatible, how can i check mine is?

20 REPLIES 20

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@markytaz wrote:

Since the planned maintenance work on Monday 10th Jan, my Hub 3 has stopped working when in modem mode. 

The device displays a constant red light, its in a ventilated place and is cool to touch, and if i do a hard reset and return it back to being a router it connects to the internet, but if i switch it back in to modem mode, i get a flashing white light, followed by a flashing green light, then green and the two arrows, then red arrows and finally a solid red light.

No issues prior to the 10th, and ive read somewhere on the help pages only certain hubs are modem mode compatible, how can i check mine is?

What router do you have attached to the hub?

And is there anything else attached to the hubs Ethernet ports other than the router?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Asus router nothing else. Even tried direct in to my laptop and no internet ipaddress is a 169 address

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
All Hubs are compatible with modem mode.

Have you checked whether the planned work is not still ongoing? As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Turn off the hub and router. Power on the hub first and leave it for 5 mins to settle. Then power on the router.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Tried all those options, hence removing my router from the Hub3 and simply connecting directly to my laptop. When i do a ipconfig /release and renew i still get the 169 address that implies no connectivity.

Yes i even got an email from Virginmedia stating the work was completed and their service had resumed

The planned works is irrelevant if the hub gets connectivity in Router Mode - it proves the connection is working.

Do a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub, then set it up in Modem Mode again following the instructions above.

Still no joy red light no internet

Hi @markytaz,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums, we're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble with your router recently and are getting a red light. If you haven't done so already, can you please follow these steps in this order and let us know if it helps at all?

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.
• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.
• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!