cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - issues with Citrix

dario82
Tuning in

Hi everyone, 

I have had Virgin Media broadband for 6 months, and I am working from home by connecting via Citrix to my office virtual machine.

Everything was working fine at the beginning for four months, but in the past two months the connection to my work Virtual Machine via Citrix has been pretty awful. The connection is intermittent, in the sense that the connection is lost for 1-2 seconds every five seconds roughly, which makes working very annoying because it's like working when the connection has a strong lag.

The only thing that has changed in the past months is that we installed two smart TVs at home two months ago. So, there may be a correlation between the connection issues to Citrix and the smart TVs??

I checked with the IT department of my employer regarding the connection issue, and all is fine on their end. The issue is not the virtual machine.

Importantly, internet and the virtual machine works well when I connect to the office Virtual Machine via USB tethering from my phone instead of using the Virgin wi-fi/ broadband. And, unsurprisingly, when I tested the wifi speed in the room where my laptop is, the Virgin Media Connect app records a "great" connection. 

Also, the virtual machine works well when I connect to the Hub via an Ethernet cable and browsing the internet on my personal laptop works well when using the virgin media Wifi, it's only the work Virtual Machine that doesn't work well.

Anyway, it looks that the issue is either the interface Virgin Media/ Citrix when using the wifi, or how the wifi router allocates the internet band to the various devices connected ie. the TVs and the PCs.

I did notice a drop in performance on the virtual machine when I connect via Wifi and the TVs are connected to the wifi as well. However, problems persist even when the TVs are switched off.

Additional info: I have Windows 10, and have not installed any new firewall or antivirus in the past six months. 

What shall I do to improve the connection to the Virtual Machine via Citrix? And is it really not possible to have two smart TVs and laptop connected at the same time to the Virgin wifi Hub3?

Thanks for your help!

15 REPLIES 15

yes, I tested the strength of the wifi signal in the room when I use the laptop, and is "great" apparently.

For the test,I use the Virgin Media test app.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dario82 wrote:

yes, I tested the strength of the wifi signal in the room when I use the laptop, and is "great" apparently.

For the test,I use the Virgin Media test app.

Ok, so faulty HUB maybe.

If you unplug the Smart TVs is Citrix over WiFi ok?

EDIT: Ah sorry, you already mentioned that!

Hmmm not sure then!

@Anonymous This point for me means it's the WiFi, NOT the broadband, causing your issue:

Perhaps observe the uncorrected errors plaguing D/S channel two, and the overly frequent partial service and synch errors visible in the network log?  I can't say with any certainty, but potentially that's 147 MHz interference ingress through poorly shielded cable or even an uncapped coax port, and the source could be a whole range of things, but potentially ham radio.

So I'd say looks like broadband to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Andrew-G wrote:

@Anonymous This point for me means it's the WiFi, NOT the broadband, causing your issue:

Perhaps observe the uncorrected errors plaguing D/S channel two, and the overly frequent partial service and synch errors visible in the network log?  I can't say with any certainty, but potentially that's 147 MHz interference ingress through poorly shielded cable or even an uncapped coax port, and the source could be a whole range of things, but potentially ham radio.

So I'd say looks like broadband to me.

The OP said it was fine when connected via ethernet?

It may well be - but there's clearly a broadband problem, so either there's a wireless fault on top of the broadband fault, or it is coincidence that it appears to be a wireless fault.   Disconnections in the log will be affecting wireless and ethernet, and uncorrectable errors will hit speed, latency and reliability of both.

Since we don't seem to have anything substantial to help the OP I'll flag those errors and disconnects for the forum team, see if they can offer any advice.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @dario82

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

So that I can assist you further I am going to need to pop you over a PM. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M