cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 issues - possible upgrade?

DeductiveShark
Tuning in

Hi - just wondered if anyone has had any joy getting Virgin to upgrade from a Hub 3 to a Hub 4 without having to change your package? Im on a 256mb package (upgraded on Volt) and having terrible WiFi connection issues with my Hub 3, we tried a WiFi pod from Virgin but this has made zero difference, to the point I was in the room directly above where the modem is located last night, with the pod plugged into me 2ft away, and a speed test with Ookia showed a whopping 3mb!! (the Virgin Media Connect app wouldn't even find the Hub). Went downstairs next to the router, and it ramped straight up to 256mb+

I've tried speaking to VM with minimal luck, I was due a call back for technical assistance which never came, and now my wife has started working from home, there's additional drain on the connection. I've read that the Hub 3 is just not for for purpose but we're still 6 months off the end of our contract (at which point I will definitely be moving provider!!), and various forums suggest Hub 4 is far superior and solves any connection issues.

In terms of set up, Hub 3 is located in the lounge, unobstructed, in a 3 bed end terrace house so not massive and signal in all rooms was never an issue with previous providers (Sky) equipment.

Appreciate any advice over and above the standard Hub reboot/reset; buy a mesh system...Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Client62
Hero

The WiFi Pod needs to be about half way between the Hub and the location to be covered, or at least in a position where the WiFi Pod  can get a decent signal from the Hub to relay on to your computer.

Having the WiFi Pod 2 feet from your computer might well be even worse than not having it at all.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would doubt if the Hub 4 is in any way superior in wifi to the Hub 3.

Good advice above, regarding the positioning of the Pods, they need to communicate with the Hub's wifi or they will not work.  Also make sure the Hub 3 is setup as "out of the box", i.e. Single SSID and Intelligent Wifi is on.

It may be prudent to do a full factory reset on the Hub 3 as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the pod placement advice - must admit, I was testing it from my phone in the bedroom, the pod is placed in there as its the central point between where the Hub is located (lounge directly underneath) and the loft bedroom where the signal is the weakest. But am now getting wifi signal issues all across the house

I use a WiFi Analyser app on my mobile phone ( free from the Play Store / App Store ) to see WiFi coverage.

The Analyser's graphs of the WiFi signal allow better insight into where coverage is good or not when picking a spot for the WiFi pod.

If I performed a full factory reset, once set up is complete, if I change the password back to what it is now (I changed it from the one supplied with the Hub), will all devices currently connected reconnected automatically without me having to reconfigure them all again individually?

Also, is there any merit in trying to split out 2.4 and 5ghz to improve signal quality? Cheers 

Q1) Yes that will work & devices will reconnect once the expected SSID/Password is restored.

Q2) We have not split the Hub 3 SSIDs & it works fine.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you split the SSID, the Pods will not work. They need the single SSID and Intelligent WiFi to be on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Cheers, both - very useful info.

Full factory reset done, password changed, and all devices connected back without issue - signal around the house seems to be pretty decent as well, so we'll see how we go!! 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, VM would advise a weekly reboot of the Hub as “maintenance”