cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 issues / not showing on app/ orange light

Missdgear
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

rhis may be an easy fix but am not sure what to do next.

We have had a hub 3 for over a year now and we have had ok internet and are on the Volt M200 (although no noticeable difference from M100 noted). We do have a lot of wifi devices connected - phones, iPads, computers, printer, camera, catflap etc and I work from home - I have one belkin wifi signal boost under my desk and for a while has been fine.

recently I have noticed the hub has a permanent orange light on, we get intermittent drops (when I’m working from home) and signs the network isn’t coping as we use video calling a lot and it regularly drops out or freezes when on video.

Usually my little Belkin repeater lights up blue but for a while has been on orange indicating the signal is crap (we have a small house but thick walls)

I have tried to reset for 60 seconds and it initially comes up green but then goes back to orange.

the app can’t find the router despite trying for over a few weeks, reinstalling etc etc 

despite all this even though we have an orange light wifi still works all be it not great 

help?

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub has a 1p LED it fades to 50 shades of yellow over time - usually nothing to do with wifi issues.
The App is just buggy and been updated very recently - you may need to reinstall the new one.

Re. the wifi issues - see this...

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' latest little game of saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, I had deleted and reinstalled the app and I still get the same message of it not being able to find the app and the router is still on orange. When I reset it, it initially goes green so I know it isn’t an led malfunction 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The only time to be concerned is if the light turns red = overheating.

Orange = fading LED. There in no functional significance to an orange/yellow light on a Hub3 that VM have publicly acknowledged (AFAIAA)

Post up a photo of it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello Missdgear,

Just a quick message to see if you have any images of the Hub?

Is it hot to touch?

In a well ventilated place away from any direct source of heat?

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

It had been hot to the touch - a few weeks ago but isn’t now - I have been in contact with Virgin and they have confirmed there is a fault in my area which can apparently cause the issues I have had. They say it should be fixed by 21st September !!! which doesn’t really help as don’t have access to my NAS system, which I use daily 😞