cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 for new customers

fatteratom
Tuning in

I joined Virgin in September 2022 and was surprised to get a hub 3 rather than a 4 or even 5. Is the hub 3 still standard ? I'd really like a hub 4 or 5 to see if the WiFi is an improvement on the hub 3 before I switch it to modem only mode and use my own router.

It's a shame virgin are using such old technology for new installs still. It seems ordering the 1gb package is the only way to get the hub 5 ? (I'm on 250mbps but most of the house is more like 250mbps due to the hub 3' wifi)

6 REPLIES 6

g0akc
Problem sorter

@fatteratom wrote:

(I'm on 250mbps but most of the house is more like 250mbps due to the hub 3' wifi)

So what’s the issue then?  250 package and 250 over WiFi….    Or is that a typo?  

Use your own router or wireless kit like I do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You get the equipment that is capable of delivering the product you ordered.

Ordering 1 Gig is no guarantee of getting a Hub 5, as there are currently supply issues & there are plenty of posts from new customers that are getting Hub 4s instead.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry typo. I get about 20mbps in most of the house with the exception of being in the same room as the router. I've done some testing with another router and the WiFi is far superior to that of the Hub 3. Just trying to avoid having to use a separate router really. 

Thanks, I guess I'm unlikely in not getting the hub 4 then. 

@fatteratom wrote:

Thanks, I guess I'm unlikely in not getting the hub 4 then. 

When I last looked into it the Hub 4 didn’t offer any real WiFi improvements over the Hub 3, and for many it was worse. 

It was being offered to those on 1gig packages or where there was network congestion and DOCSIS 3.1 was useful for VM.  I never bothered taking up the offer.

I’ve heard some good things about the Hub 5, now that many of the bugs have been addressed - and of course WiFi 6 has a lot to offer, particularly in congested locations.

I don’t really see how as a new customer you should get any priority for an upgrade compared to us existing customers to get a newer hub - you’re likely benefiting from a currently lower monthly price and cashback deal (as I did initially) anyway.

VM are offering the hub 5 upgrade to those moving to a 1gig service.  If you don’t want to pay for that (I don’t) get your own router or mesh system.  Decent WiFi 6 routers aren’t that expensive and will likely outperform the VM hubs anyway.  My good Link router cost me forty quid.  Hub in modem mode.  Job done.

Review your needs, size of property etc. and do a ‘survey’ before choosing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello fatteratom.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about the slows speeds around your property.

I know this is an old cliché, But can you please give the Hub a power down for a minute as it has been on for quite a while and may need a refresh.

Gareth_L