cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 ethernet ports not working

Neilpateluk
Tuning in

Hi,

New to Virgin. Have 3 netgear access points set up around my house to boost my wifi as the router isn't powerful enough to get wifi to all corners. 

Initial set up was fine and everything was working fine for about a week. Then suddenly yesterday it stopped working. Now I can't seem to connect anything via ethernet. The Wifi works fine, but anything connected via ethernet just says 'no internet'.  I've tried connecting (with a brand new ethernet cable) to the router to my laptop and again, 'no internet'. 

I've seen a few others who have had the same problem where an engineer was brought out to fix it. Tried calling Virgin to get to that resolution however they keep cutting me off when transferring me to different departments.  

Hoping someone here can help me!

19 REPLIES 19

So a bit more information on the ethernet - when I troubleshoot on windows, i get a 'Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP address'.

In answer to some of the questions - I've tried to set the hub to modem mode - which did nothing as again I couldn't connect via ethernet to turn it back - so ended up having to hard reset back to factory settings to get wifi back on. 

I've tried 3 brand new ethernet cables on multiple devices - TV's, Netgear access point, my personal laptop and a work laptop. None connected to the internet via ethernet. 

It feels like there is some setting on the router or something to do with the DHCP or the way it assigns IP addresses to the ethernet ports that is the problem (though of course not being a techy guy I could be talking out my ass).  

Again, this whole set up worked fine up until 3 days ago. 

The only thing I haven't done is reset the hub with all the access points turned off. 

@Neilpateluk wrote:

So a bit more information on the ethernet - when I troubleshoot on windows, i get a 'Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP address'.

In answer to some of the questions - I've tried to set the hub to modem mode - which did nothing as again I couldn't connect via ethernet to turn it back - so ended up having to hard reset back to factory settings to get wifi back on. 

I've tried 3 brand new ethernet cables on multiple devices - TV's, Netgear access point, my personal laptop and a work laptop. None connected to the internet via ethernet. 

It feels like there is some setting on the router or something to do with the DHCP or the way it assigns IP addresses to the ethernet ports that is the problem (though of course not being a techy guy I could be talking out my ass).  

Again, this whole set up worked fine up until 3 days ago. 

The only thing I haven't done is reset the hub with all the access points turned off. 

To have 2 hubs in a row with the same issue is not convincing. This certainly seems like an internal equipment issue. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Start right at the beginning. Put the Hub into its router mode, turn it off, disconnect everything from the 4 ports and do nothing for a few minutes.

Turn the Hub back on and wait for a few more minutes while it reinitialises and connects to the cable network. Be patient and wait as indicated.

Now turn the PC on wait for it to boot and get yourself logged in. Make sure you are setup for DHCP Ethernet and finally connect Ethernet from the PC to the Hub.

The Hub should allocate an IP in the 192.168.1.x range to the PC. You should now be able to browse the internet.

If windows will not connect then there is something configured wrongly on windows, as 192.168.1.x is a perfectly valid address range.

If you get this far successfully, then you have to consider what to do next. Maybe connect more Ethernet devices. Or first figure out how your netgear stuff works.

If the netgear system wants to be a router, you going to have to switch back to modem mode on the Hub. If you end up doing the latter, your own router must be the only thing connected to the Hub and must be configured for DHCP WAN address discovery. The Hub will move itself to a new address range, probably at address 192.168.100.1. If you can get connected to the Ethernet, the Hub should be visible at that address.

@gary_dexter wrote:

To have 2 hubs in a row with the same issue is not convincing. 

Or maybe their second hard with ethernet problems and not tested by VM?

try

How to reset TCP/IP or Internet Protocol in Windows 10 (thewindowsclub.com)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, 

Thanks so much for the help.

So I did as suggested and turned off all the netgear access points and ethernet switches. If I now connect my laptop via ethernet it works.

I then connected one of my netgear access points and bam, ethernet says 'no internet'. 

Is this because the access point and the hub are both trying to be the router? I'm perfectly happy for the hub to be the router and the access point to be just that, an access point. Any idea how to do that?

Apologies, i inherited all this when I bought the house, so wasn't me who set it up. I find it strange that it worked fine for a week before going crazy however.  

Thanks

It’s possible that both th hub and the netgear are handing out dhcp addresses and this is causing your problems.

You need to log into the netgear mesh system and put it in “access point” or “bridge” mode.

alternatively, you need to put the hub into modem mode and let the netgear provide all of the gateway services. Either will work, my preference would be the latter though… 

Thanks. I think I'll Retry putting the hub into modem mode. 

Question : would you put the hub into modem mode first then connect the access points or connect the access points and then put it into modem mode? 

Log into the hub at http://192.168.0.1 and select the option to put the hub into modem mode

The hub will then reboot and come back up in modem mode - give it five minutes to settle down

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the hub

Power off the Hub and your router/mesh system

Connect your router/mesh system to the hub via ethernet cable and switch it on - leave it five minutes to settle down

Power on the hub and leave it five minutes to settle down

Should all be working

JT1970
Joining in

I have the same problem with my Hub 3 now. Ethernet connections stopped working on Sunday. I've tried all the resets link connections to test the lights. All seem to work correctly. Now nothing. 

Hi JT1970,

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with the hub.

Can you please confirm whether a WiFi connection works?

Have you tested a different Ethernet cable?

Alex_Rm